• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Did Tisdale pick a team to lose?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not to mention that the JMT contract was agreed in January - well before the move to MK Dons and, if it hadn't been signed, JMT would have been absolutely free to go. If Tis wanted him in the summer why tie him instead to a contract that could have kept him here?

If we still had the Cowshed I'd also have had to mention the man on the grassy knoll. This runs deep.

Last edited:

ExeterCityLad

Not to mention that the JMT contract was agreed in January - well before the move to MK Dons and, if it hadn't been signed, JMT would have been absolutely free to go. If Tis wanted him in the summer why tie him instead to a contract that could have kept him here?

If we still had the Cowshed I'd also have had to mention the man on the grassy knoll. This runs deep.
1) Tisdale was planning to leave well before January, maybe MK Dons wasn't confirmed at that time - But he was never going to stay, was he? I think his comments in the national press and the continued distaste for him, and him for the fans was growing day by day since November 2016.

2) Why not sign JMT on an actual contract and tie him down to our club, offering him more money? Money talks. This attitude that he would've went "free" at the end of the summer is nonsense, and if it was the case, we should've sold him in January and actually got some money for him. Should we give every single player that clause when there contract is nearing up, rather than negotiate a proper one?

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

1) Tisdale was planning to leave well before January, maybe MK Dons wasn't confirmed at that time - But he was never going to stay, was he? I think his comments in the national press and the continued distaste for him, and him for the fans was growing day by day since November 2016.
Then why all the effort from January on to keep us at the top and make it to Wembley again? Why the brilliant start to last season? Why continue to bring money into the Club and develop infrastructure?

2) Why not sign JMT on an actual contract and tie him down to our club, offering him more money? Money talks. This attitude that he would've went "free" at the end of the summer is nonsense, and if it was the case, we should've sold him in January and actually got some money for him. Should we give every single player that clause when there contract is nearing up, rather than negotiate a proper one?
A contract is between both parties. Do you think that Tis dictated the terms to JMT and his agent singlehandedly and that they were forced to agree under duress? The contract was an 'actual contract' and it did tie JMT to us longer than his existing one did. If getting players from us on the cheap was the long term plan then why not have similar get outs for other players - Boateng, Stockley, Taylor, Sweeney, Pym?

LOG

There are also two pretty good reasons for not selling him in January:

- If we decided to sell him in January he'd only have had 6 months left on his existing contract and we'd have got nowhere near his true value
- By putting the clause in and getting him to sign a new contract, the hope would have been that he'd captain us towards a promotion push which, if it had been successful, would have nullified the clause

To me it was the best we could do as we were in such a weak bargaining position.

Red Monster

JMT didn’t want to sign a contract and he was offered the biggest package the club had ever offered a player,
Yes money talks but he’s not stupid he know other clubs can double his wages.

STURTZ

There are also two pretty good reasons for not selling him in January:

- If we decided to sell him in January he'd only have had 6 months left on his existing contract and we'd have got nowhere near his true value
- By putting the clause in and getting him to sign a new contract, the hope would have been that he'd captain us towards a promotion push which, if it had been successful, would have nullified the clause

To me it was the best we could do as we were in such a weak bargaining position.
We probably would have gone up if he hadn't damaged his knee ligament in putting in a brave challenge. He got back far quicker than could be expected and was a star player in our quest for the play offs including the semi final. The suggestion that JMT deliberately blew promotion so that he could move on is laughable.

IndoMike

The question that has not been asked - possibly because it is unanswerable - is if Tisdale still would have made the switch to MKD if City had been promoted.
If he had switched it might have looked as if he had no ambition and couldn't hack a higher division.
I don't think Tisdale plotted to lose the match v Coventry, but I think his demeanor and thinking might have displayed a certain dilemma or lack of focus which might have projected onto the players.

Last edited:

Gordon Dale

IndoMike : On the subject of 'projected onto the players' I was advised by three well respected Grecians ( I and many others will have known for some thirty years plus) , last Saturday en route to the match , that Tisdale had informed the players the night before Wembley encounter of his decision to join MK Dons. I hasten to add these comments were not solicited by me . Make of them what you will.

Gordon Dale

IndoMike : As an adjunct to my previous post I have no means of knowing or intention of pursuing the direct source of their comments. What I can say is that none of the three were party to any paranoid anti-Tisdale faction. Indeed quite the opposite ...which in my view gave their utterences a fair degree of credence. As to the absolute truth of such ...only Tisdale and the players will know.

Others have posted views as to the circumstantial evidence regarding the manner of Tisdale's departure and it's aftermath. What can be reasonably surmised is that it is not reasonable to presume that Tisdale decided to leave the club on 1st June and wasn't making suitable preparations to facilitate such sometime prior. The Wembley fixture was 27th May. Certainly Tisdale's demeanour in front of the TV cameras very much gave the impression to me that 'he was most definitely on his way'. They say ..'the eyes are the window to the soul'. Just look at the interviews and judge for yourself.