• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby County vs Exeter City Match-day Thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
And too often he sold himself down the river by going off on a run, losing it high up the pitch and leaving himself hopelessly out of position (and this isn't the first game it's happened) or twisting himself into highly dangerous positions not too far from our box and getting mugged and putting us in peril (and, again, it's not the first game it's happened). Yes, yes, he's not a centre back but that's where he is playing and, by and large, that's how he has to think and play like.
the only time he got caught upfield last night was when the shape of the team gave him licence to do so, on a congested right flank,quite unlike in previous games where he took on too many with space behind him. That's why we weren't punished. He had an excellent game defensively for me.

suffolklad

the only time he got caught upfield last night was when the shape of the team gave him licence to do so, on a congested right flank,quite unlike in previous games where he took on too many with space behind him. That's why we weren't punished. He had an excellent game defensively for me.
You clearly didn't see him beaten by their winger on numerous occasions then?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
His mazey dribbling is something that is a vital part of his game, just hope GC explains that when you're the last line of defence a simple pass or hoof is favourite. He's an attacking player in effect.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't really get the criticism of Josh Key. He hasn't been faultless but for a naturally attacking player I think he's coped remarkably well when playing out of position. Apart from the Shrewsbury and Charlton games our defending has been pretty good when Josh has been in the back 3.

Red Bill

I don't really get the criticism of Josh Key. He hasn't been faultless but for a naturally attacking player I think he's coped remarkably well when playing out of position. Apart from the Shrewsbury and Charlton games our defending has been pretty good when Josh has been in the back 3.
For me this isn't really about his defending, although as with Sparkes, its clearly not his natural inclination, its about his decision making when attacking and his tendency to hang on to the ball that bit too long. On Tuesday there were three or four occasions when he did that in attacking position up near the opposition penalty box and ended up losing the ball which with the team pushing up the pitch, led to quick and dangerous counters from Derby. If he would learn to get his head up and look for a pass or a quick one two in those situations, instead of trying to do it all himself, he'd be an even more effective player.

DawlishBouy