• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Defining moments

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
First half at home to Bristol Rovers.
It was like an injection of "feel good".

budegrecian

Sam Stubbs finally taking the field?

Red & White

The three big moments which I think paved the way for where we are today:

1) The draw against FGR away, showed that we could match them and despite league positions at the time must have given the team belief that they were able to compete with the best in the division.

2) Harrogate at home, having been on the backfoot for most of the game to get a result and 3 points showed the character of the team.

3) Last minute winner at Carlisle, I think this is the point I really started to believe we could be in with a shout of not only promotion but battling FGR for the title.

ryancooper327

Sparkes for me!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me it was Dawsons penalty save against Carlisle and a brilliant top corner save just after that.
Or do you mean Oldham???

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sam Stubbs finally taking the field?
I'd go with that. We went from drawing a lot of games in that first long run run of not being defeated to winning a lot of games with his introduction in the run in the second half of the season being undefeated.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been saying to family and friends that this was a promotion side since early November. The ability to turn turgid performances (Sutton and FGR at home for example) into points was key.

It looked like injuries may scupper ambition, with the heart of the side ripped out late Nov early Dec, but fitness of SS, emergence of Diabate, return of Nombe and addition of Zanzala have made us incredibly consistent there on in.

But for those injuries we’d have been up weeks ago. We have been that consistent.

So, for me, the defining moment was Sam Stubbs return to fitness.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would say our manager's fast expanding intelligence and knowledge of the game. He has been instrumental in at least four major ways;

(1) Recruitment last summer (remember the disappointment at the promised "marquee signings"?) ;)

(2) Not making the mistake that FGR did of relying on one player (in the main) to score their goals (Matty Stevens). We lost Nombe for 3 months(?) yet the rest of the squad stepped up to the plate brilliantly.

(3) Man management. The players seem to like and respect MT enormously.

(4) Engaging with the supporters. His interviews have been top notch, win or lose.

Without the above, none of the rest would have happened imo.
Away at Sutton we were understandably very shaky defensively to start with but thankfully got a quick equaliser after conceding a poor opening goal. Immediately after we scored Matt Taylor called Stubbs and Diabate over for a chat. For me that was THE turning point of the season because whatever he said clearly worked; both those players have been sensationally good ever since and the biggest reason our results have been so much better since Christmas.

Shortround

Swindon away for me, snatching a win from the jaws of defeat set us on our way!!

dontpassback

Harrogate at home,turning around that game showed belief in loads,and the way sparkes finished that goal was sublime,it reminded me of the time when city went to Barnsley and turned around 3 nil to win 4.3,the togetherness on display from players and fans that night in my view was the defining moment