• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

D&C Constabulary and Millwall

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see the Echo are doing some more scaremongering on behalf of D&C Police following the trouble at West Ham. Marvellous.

happygrecian

Yes, should be a nice little money spinner for our friends in blue...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, should be a nice little money spinner for our friends in blue...
Yes exactly. So transparent.

PINHOE RED

Calm down they said intelligence led only. Its different millwall have no problem with us it was the first time they played easch other for years. Our match is completly different - also the club have already stated that 'big' matches will be a pound dearer to cover any Police costs.

Also main offenders were west ham, so lets not join the band wagon and panic about something that wont happen - else there will be a big bill heading the clubs way.

happygrecian

Most of us would agree that there won't be a problem, there hasn't been with any of Millwall's League 1 games this season.
The only problem is with Devon & Cornwall Constabulary's bill being calculated on police "intelligence"...

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Calm down .
I think Ronnie's point was that irrespective of how calm we might be and of how low on Millwall's radar we are, the E & E were being particularly unhelpful by sensationalising the issue.

I have not read the coverage down there but people I know that were at the game and around the area said it was nothing out of the ordinary when compared to the visits of say Spurs or Newcastle, even stabbings are not that uncommon around that bit of London, only normally making the news if there is a fatality.

It is the the fact that is was a cup game that exacerbated the problem, the ground was full of people that would not normally be there and cutting the Walls allocation probably didn't help things.

I suspect the Club will be reticent to talk down the fixture as should they take that course and summat actually happens, always a possibilty with so many sick and twisteds on both sides, they would get it in the neck.

heathy1

There was trouble in Exeter when we played them in a pre season game last year, thats probably why they are nervous

denzel

I don't think the article was sensationalising it at all. Many people (particularly those that haven't been to the ground for a few years, or ever) will have seen the scenes in the news on Wednesday and worked out that Millwall will be coming to Exeter this season. They may need reassuring that this is a one-off, so to have those at the club therefore saying that they are aware of potential problems and are liaising with the police and MFC seems sensible. Of course they do this for every match but I can appreciate the need to be more wary than, say, Hartlepool in looking at this one.

Yes, we (the club, and ultimately the fans) will have to pay a bit extra for this, but we are in League One now, we are playing Leeds and Millwall instead of Farsley and Ebbsfleet, and what we ALL want (I hope) is for games to be well policed, and incident free, apart from on the pitch.

Or am I missing something??

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Calm down they said intelligence led only. Its different millwall have no problem with us it was the first time they played easch other for years. Our match is completly different - also the club have already stated that 'big' matches will be a pound dearer to cover any Police costs.

Also main offenders were west ham, so lets not join the band wagon and panic about something that wont happen - else there will be a big bill heading the clubs way.
Well that was the point of the OP...why the Echo has to run such a story is beyond me.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think the article was sensationalising it at all. Many people (particularly those that haven't been to the ground for a few years, or ever) will have seen the scenes in the news on Wednesday and worked out that Millwall will be coming to Exeter this season. They may need reassuring that this is a one-off, so to have those at the club therefore saying that they are aware of potential problems and are liaising with the police and MFC seems sensible. Of course they do this for every match but I can appreciate the need to be more wary than, say, Hartlepool in looking at this one.

Yes, we (the club, and ultimately the fans) will have to pay a bit extra for this, but we are in League One now, we are playing Leeds and Millwall instead of Farsley and Ebbsfleet, and what we ALL want (I hope) is for games to be well policed, and incident free, apart from on the pitch.

Or am I missing something??
Most non-City fans probably wouldn't realise until they read it....