• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cult Hero

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't really let this thread pass without a nomination for Stuart Storer - largely on account of his impressive facial foliage!

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
He absolutely terrorised Argyle in a Devon Derby in the late 90s - think it was 99/00 as the Cowshed was a pile of rubble and the atmosphere was terrible. Think they escaped with a 1-1 draw.

We had him on loan from Bristol Rovers and I'm sure he still lives in Bristol. My mate bumped into him through work but I can't for the life of me remember what he does/did - want to say he was a delivery guy or postman
Yes it was - he signed for us on non-contract terms, I thought he only played 2-3 games for us but Soccerbase has him playing 9, including another match I saw him in, a horrendous 4-1 defeat at Leyton Orient with the usual bent ref. His only goal for us was in that 1-1 draw with the Cornish.

He signed for Forest Green upon leaving us.

Stuart Storer's Tache

For Cult Hero, it's gotta be Flacky for me. As well as being a far better player than many would give credit for (albeit with a habit of pulling rickets that would make my 8 year old daughter blush), there were things like the "cap in hand" goal celebration and nicking the Crawley keeper's water to keep the fans amused.

EDIT: And the Babycham interview.
Flack is up there in the cult hero stakes, his partnership with Braithwaite is a cult hero match made in heaven. Think Braithwaite shades it due to being almost too fast to play football and having about 3 or 4 songs devoted to him despite being a fairly limited footballer.

Make you right about Flack's footballing ability, he got/gets a lot of undue critism in my eyes but virtually every City manager he played for picked him every week. A very effective lower league target man.

Remind me of the Babycham interview

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Remind me of the Babycham interview
FA Trophy QF at Aldershot in our first non-league season, we were 2-1 down in stoppage time then scored from a corner (I think Devine) only to find the linesman (Amy Rayner) had her flag up even though it would be impossible to be offside directly from a corner.

Flacky was quoted in the Echo on the Monday saying something like "It's alright for her, she can go home, put her feet up and have a Babycham. This is our lives."

Stuart Storer's Tache

Couldn't really let this thread pass without a nomination for Stuart Storer - largely on account of his impressive facial foliage!

Why thank you! Reading this thread has got me thinking that the Cult Hero is almost a dying breed. City had plenty in my formative years watching them in the mid 90s and you could make a case for others well into the 00s. Would be hard pushed to name many now. Clint has been mentioned, Harley perhaps and possibly Ribiero

90s

Flack
Braithwaite
Nicky Medlin
Russel Coughlin
Danny Bailey
Jason Rees
Mickey Ross
Chris Fry
Dazza
Gary Alexander
Barry McConnell

00s

Santos
Gareth Sheldon
Kevin Miller
Arjan Van Heusden
Christian Roberts
Logie
Tulls
Rob Edwards
Lee Elam - ok I'm scraping the barrell a bit now

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And who could forget Jimmy Gardner from the 90s, who even had his own Appreciation Society!

Stuart Storer's Tache

And who could forget Jimmy Gardner from the 90s, who even had his own Appreciation Society!
I refrained from putting him in

Stuart Storer's Tache

FA Trophy QF at Aldershot in our first non-league season, we were 2-1 down in stoppage time then scored from a corner (I think Devine) only to find the linesman (Amy Rayner) had her flag up even though it would be impossible to be offside directly from a corner.

Flacky was quoted in the Echo on the Monday saying something like "It's alright for her, she can go home, put her feet up and have a Babycham. This is our lives."
Ah yes, classic from Flacky

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would say the same. Very few players who would be more or less universally appreciated across the fan base but Stanno would definitely be one.

League Two, I'd say Ingram is the best 'keeper in the division by a country mile, he's looked much better than L2 standard the times I've seen him (admittedly just highlights). Also I remember a tall blond centre back from the Portsmouth game, but I can't remember his name and it might have been last season, but I do remember him being very very capable and assured at the back, and still quite young. (Googled it - Jack Whatmough but seems that he's out on loan to Havant & Waterlooville so maybe that game was a one-off and he's not as good as he looked!)
If that's true of Stanno then how is he a cult hero? Hero yes, but where does the cult bit come in?

Terryhall

If that's true of Stanno then how is he a cult hero? Hero yes, but where does the cult bit come in?
Already retracted following someone else posting the same question earlier. Depends on your definition of cult hero, but I get that the OP is more looking for someone who flew under the radar rather than the obvious fan favourite. Hence why I followed up in a later post with Les Afful, which is admittedly an equally ridiculous choice for different reasons.