• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2022

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
At least you can be reasonably confident that the cidermen won't be digging up Brian Close and wheeling him out to bat ! 😎
His large picture portrait adorns the walkway with other past stalwarts. Wouldn't put it past Closey to put in an appearance !

Henry Blofeld tells a lovey tale about Brian Close.

Yaaarkshire fan to BC just after he has been hit very hard on the body fielding at forward short leg: Mr Close you really should be more careful. What if that ball had hit you on the forehead ?

BC: It would have deflected to cover and the batsman would have been out caught.

Bridgy 81

Brian Close was just coming to the end of his legendary career in the mid to late 70s when I used to sneak in after school to watch the last few hours play when the bloke on the door had his back turned.
Security wasn’t very tight then and the team weren’t great, in fact I imagine the twice weekly greyhound racing got crowds as large as the cricket.
Things changed big time when Somerset started to get some one day cup success a few years later.
The stories about how hard Brian Close was were many, but on the cricketing side of things I think he‘s still England’s youngest Test debutant.

Alistair20000

Brian Close was just coming to the end of his legendary career in the mid to late 70s when I used to sneak in after school to watch the last few hours play when the bloke on the door had his back turned.
Security wasn’t very tight then and the team weren’t great, in fact I imagine the twice weekly greyhound racing got crowds as large as the cricket.
Things changed big time when Somerset started to get some one day cup success a few years later.
The stories about how hard Brian Close was were many, but on the cricketing side of things I think he‘s still England’s youngest Test debutant.
Yes just 18 on his England debut.

Aged 45 he played against the West Indies quicks in 1976 and the evening session at Old Trafford Test was truly brutal. John Edrich aged 39 opened with Brian Close. How serious injury was avoided is hard to understand.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes just 18 on his England debut.

Aged 45 he played against the West Indies quicks in 1976 and the evening session at Old Trafford Test was truly brutal. John Edrich aged 39 opened with Brian Close. How serious injury was avoided is hard to understand.
Those two were given a dirty job to do. They were both near the end of their careers, and expendable. The umpires should definitely have stepped in.

By the way, Closey top-scored for Somerset the next day.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jonny Bairstow pulls out of the Hundred to rest before the next Test Series

Top Man he realises what proper Cricket is (y)

Grecian2K

I will be rocking up at the County Ground on Thursday to see the Cidermen take on Notts and hoping to see some of the emerging youngsters being given a chance.
Zummerzet currently 23-5! :eek:
Looks like Al will be back in Tebburn in time for lunch.

Alistair20000

Zummerzet currently 23-5! :eek:
Looks like Al will be back in Tebburn in time for lunch.
Missed all 5 wickets stuck on a delayed train 😡😡

Lovely weather here with a nice breeze.

Green and Rew trying to rebuild.

Alistair20000

That was feckin’ dire 😡

Notts chase down 120 in 12 overs. DLS was just 14 before the last ball was bowled.

The remaining question is do I reclaim £9 x12.5% compensation from GWR for delayed train :)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tom Abell expected to be out of action for around six weeks. Not great news, as there are four Championship games in September.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cidermen win the toss v Gloucs, and will bat. Rather better than last time, let's hope.