• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2022

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Match drawn.

Decent result for Somerset with Kent and Warwicks imploding.

Not so good is Northants possibly chasing down a generous target set by Gloucs who are probably doomed to relegation.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Northants currently need 30 runs with 5 wickets standing. No doubt Gloucs felt they had to take a chance.

Alistair20000

Northants currently need 30 runs with 5 wickets standing. No doubt Gloucs felt they had to take a chance.
Northants squeeze home by 2 wickets. As you say a draw useless to Gloucs so the generous declaration is understandable.

Meanwhile at the top one of Sorry, Hants or Lancs likely to be Champions. Cidermen have put a spoke in Essex’s chances.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see there's a Devon v Somerset one-dayer at Bovey Tracey on Tuesday.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile at the top one of Sorry, Hants or Lancs likely to be Champions. Cidermen have put a spoke in Essex’s chances.
At least we'll be spared all that "Essex red ball kings" stuff from a year or two back.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see there's a Devon v Somerset one-dayer at Bovey Tracey on Tuesday.
Like the name of Devon's captain: Matt Skeemer

Alistair20000

Horrible England performance in the last T20 ODI at the Ageas yesterday.

Jos Buttler did not captain very well IMO. Failed to use Moeen Ali after just one over that went for 4 runs and the important wicket of Rossouw just as he was about to run amok. South African spinners bowled 9 overs and took 8 wickets.

The highest successful T20 ODI chase on this ground is 158 so the South Africa 191 looked 30 over par. The boundaries were pushed out and the playing area was vast. They hit only one six but batted smartly placing the ball into spaces and running a lot of singles and 2’s. Plenty of well placed 4’s too helped by pace on the ball. Topley and Jordan in particular took a lot of punishment.

The England reply never got going at any stage with a limp power play with just a couple of 4’s. Roy is hopelessly out of form while Jos and Livingstone are too one dimensional in wanting to smack every ball for 6. Very difficult with those massive boundaries and no pace on the ball to work with. Asking rate was nearly 11 an over just after the power play. Jonny Bairstow hung around but scored very slowly. Placement into spaces was poor from all. Moeen unlucky to fall to a great catch by Stubbs. Not our Sam mind :)

It is very hard to come back from behind the rate on this ground when the boundaries are pushed out and the South African bowlers all bowled superbly giving nothing much away. Nortje is very quick indeed and was a handful. Only got 2 overs with the spinners predominating and England not batting the full overs. I have read since that every ball in one over was around 93/94 m.p.h.

The inevitable crushing defeat led to some crowd booing which I don’t much like but fans pay a lot of money for tickets.

Jos spends a lot of time racing up to talk to bowlers. It worked better when Eoin Morgan was in charge and was at mid on or mid off. Drop Roy, give Phil Salt the gloves and free up Jos to field close to the bowler. Just a thought.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack Brooks signs one-year contract extension.

Alistair20000

Some strange looking line ups in the Royal London that has stared today with most of the top players away playing baseball.

I laughed reasonably hard when I saw 46 year old Darren Stevens is playing for Kent in what is now dubbed "a development competition"

I will be rocking up at the County Ground on Thursday to see the Cidermen take on Notts and hoping to see some of the emerging youngsters being given a chance.

Colesman Ballz

Some strange looking line ups in the Royal London that has stared today with most of the top players away playing baseball.

I laughed reasonably hard when I saw 46 year old Darren Stevens is playing for Kent in what is now dubbed "a development competition"

I will be rocking up at the County Ground on Thursday to see the Cidermen take on Notts and hoping to see some of the emerging youngsters being given a chance.
At least you can be reasonably confident that the cidermen won't be digging up Brian Close and wheeling him out to bat ! 😎