• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps it would take the Government to step in and save cricket from itself, by declaring a number of significant games protected by making them FTA as in other sports ? :unsure:

DB9

Perhaps it would take the Government to step in and save cricket from itself, by declaring a number of significant games protected by making them FTA as in other sports ? :unsure:
Nah, "Market Forces" innit.

Colesman Ballz

Nah, "Market Forces" innit.
British Grand Prix, FA Cup Final, Wimbledon Finals for examples. It could be done if you have the will !

DB9

British Grand Prix, FA Cup Final, Wimbledon Finals for examples. It could be done if you have the will !
They're in the most finals, I am amazed the WC or Euros are still FTA, The ones you mentioned are sort of "Written in Stone", For some reason Cricket never was given that status. I can still recall watching the 2005 Test series ( I think the last on FTA) that was one amazing series and summer, My good lady kept moaning at me to go out and enjoy the sunshine but you couldn't take your eyes off the whole series.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

They're in the most finals, I am amazed the WC or Euros are still FTA, The ones you mentioned are sort of "Written in Stone", For some reason Cricket never was given that status. I can still recall watching the 2005 Test series ( I think the last on FTA) that was one amazing series and summer, My good lady kept moaning at me to go out and enjoy the sunshine but you couldn't take your eyes off the whole series.
Agreed I remember cricket enjoying a surge in popularity then and was amazed they immediately sold the rights to the highest bidder ie Sky.

DB9

Agreed I remember cricket enjoying a surge in popularity then and was amazed they immediately sold the rights to the highest bidder ie Sky.
I think during that Ashes series it was announced Sky had got the rights, The ECB should have had foresight and seen how that series got the nation gripped, Yet the next Ashes (Granted it was in Oz) it was a "Meh" to lot of people because it was only on Sky and they imho lost a lot of new fans they gained in 2005. The limited stuff when shown on FTA TV the audience figures are pretty good but the ECB don't see that, They only see £ signs.

Rosencrantz

From what I have read in books by Simon Hughes (The Analyst in C4 days), C4 were not interested in renewing their cricket contract before the 2005 Ashes series. Certainly not at the amount Sky were offering. They didn't like the dead air they had to fill when rain stopped play or worse, when the game finished in three days leaving C4 two whole days of filling with repeats of Friends. By then they were already into the cash cow that was Big Brother.

The BBC did average 1.2 million viewers for their Hundred coverage this summer, more than double of Sky's audience. So there is an audience still there for Cricket on free to air as was shown by the World Cup Final in 2019.

Reactions: DB9

iscalad

Big Bash is being shown live on Sky Mix ATM. It's free on Virgin.

Colesman Ballz

So England Coach Chris Silverwood will miss the 4th Test after being forced to isolate. The cynic in me would suggest that perhaps he should miss the 5th as well, for all the good that he is doing ! :p

DB9

So England Coach Chris Silverwood will miss the 4th Test after being forced to isolate. The cynic in me would suggest that perhaps he should miss the 5th as well, for all the good that he is doing ! :p
I thought exactly the same, Let it rip through the team (Safely) and we won't have to suffer the embarrassment of a 5-0 whitewash.