• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what do the Aussies and other nations do to keep such a high standard in 5 day cricket? I mean they all have their limited overs games but still trounce us in Tests.
This is what has puzzled me listening to the radio this morning.

Lot's of plausible stuff regarding the lack of a decent county long form game in English cricket but no looking beyond that to examine how Australia have managed well in all forms.

DB9

This is what has puzzled me listening to the radio this morning.

Lot's of plausible stuff regarding the lack of a decent county long form game in English cricket but no looking beyond that to examine how Australia have managed well in all forms.
Seems to me Cricket like Football just can't get the right formula, Germany for instance in Football at the beginning of the 2000's did a root and branch overhaul of its game and it worked, I think some Cricketing nations did too but here in England we are just unable to see this 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is losing with a bit of fight but losing in the manner they have is disgraceful - scores of 147, 297, 236, 192, 185, 68 indicates clearly where the problem is - the game I love spolt by pjama bish bash bosh cricket too many England players not upto Test Match Cricket give their wicket up far to easily and not prepared to grind out a score - even the level I used to play at I used to value my wicket and every run that came my way
Never replaced Alistair Cook at the top of the order.
A sad day for English Cricket

Rosencrantz

Cricket in England at the moment is all about money. In my time (mid eighties on) the Counties have been bailed out by the ECB and a share of England Test and One Day profits. Only the one day competitions would bring in decent crowds, especially the later stages of the one day cups.

Then along came T20 and the all the Counties started making money and getting full houses. Eyes got bigger and they tried to milk the competition throughout the summer which ends up diluting the appeal, especially with sometimes a revolving door of overseas replacements with the top names unable or unwilling to commit to one game a week over three or four months.

With the IPL showing how it should be done, on the pitch and in the spreadsheets, the ECB looked on envious and The Hundred was born with the Counties accepting the pay out. All the time the unprofitable County Championship has been pushed to one side.

Test Cricket attendances in England have held up compared with around the world allowing the money still to flow around the Counties. How long that will last with poor Test match form we will have to see. But at the moment, money wise, it is not hurting the ECB or Counties.

England turned around their one day travails with a change of attitude with talent that was all ready to burst through from the domestic game (Roy, Hales) or already there (Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow) but needed liberating. There wasn't really any changes at County level needed. It is then no surprise that with the success comes strength in depth as all the young players think "I'd like a bit of that". And you only have to see England's reputation now at the amount of English talent in demand in the Big Bash and other T20 competitions where availability allows.

Whether they can do the same with the Test side though looks unlikely at the moment. Who is there that can turn this around? Who else do you pick? This does look like it needs a change in the structure of County Cricket. Not only to make the County Championship harder, but more important. That can only be done by making the County Championship the spine of the season again. But that means losing money. Whilst the ECB might want to do good for the game (it's possible 🙂), will the Counties actually want to look away from their bank balances?

Grecian2K

Now now chaps. A tad premature here perhaps?

After all, there are still two more humiliations to go before we can formally, and finally, deliver the last rites.

Just a thought here but instead the remains of a mere couple of bails perhaps we should present the Aussies with an urn containing the ashes of.10 incinerated English bats?

Colesman Ballz

I think that the kindest course of action, might be to declare a a massive Covid outbreak and bring them all home now ! Sod any further humiliation for the rest of the tour. 😎

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Cricket is a dying sport in England.
WE NEED CRICKET ON FREE TO AIR TV to generate interest in the game.

DB9

There is something in that, When it is occasionlly shown on FTA TV the ratings are really good but alas the BBC/ITV/C4/C5 just haven't got the funds to throw at the ECB like Sky/BT etc.

Alistair20000

I think that the kindest course of action, might be to declare a a massive Covid outbreak and bring them all home now ! Sod any further humiliation for the rest of the tour. 😎
Covid is actually a real threat with cases in the England camp. Would be a happy release if this disastrous tour were terminated forthwith

Colesman Ballz

Yeah, but it's the old conundrum, of chasing the TV cash Instead , it seems impossible to strike a balance.