• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rain has killed off the match at the County Ground. I would think Hampshire are glad to have escaped with a draw. Apart from the first three hours Somerset have been the better team. I was surprised that they sent in a night watchman last night and then fannied around at 2 an over for the best part of the morning. Pusillanimous. Hants were never going to get anything close to 300 so a target of 461 was bizarre. The commentators wondered if Somerset were trying to favour Hants over Gloucs as if Hants go into the first division with Somerset in September, Somerset will carry forward a big points advantage. Seems too Machiavellian to me.

Greg Hill (aka grecian greg, once of these boards) mentioned several times during commentary.
"Pusillanimous" - what a delightful turn of phrase Al.
Wonderfully "Marksist" - Vic - not Karl -I hasten to add!

Alistair20000

"Pusillanimous" - what a delightful turn of phrase Al.
Wonderfully "Marksist" - Vic - not Karl -I hasten to add!
One of my favourite “ous” ending words G2K. Along with assiduous and contumacious.

I had a lot of Karl Marx forced down my throat at University; sadly no Vic Marks :)

sign of the chimes

Rain has killed off the match at the County Ground. I would think Hampshire are glad to have escaped with a draw. Apart from the first three hours Somerset have been the better team. I was surprised that they sent in a night watchman last night and then fannied around at 2 an over for the best part of the morning. Pusillanimous. Hants were never going to get anything close to 300 so a target of 461 was bizarre. The commentators wondered if Somerset were trying to favour Hants over Gloucs as if Hants go into the first division with Somerset in September, Somerset will carry forward a big points advantage. Seems too Machiavellian to me.

Greg Hill (aka grecian greg, once of these boards) mentioned several times during commentary.
Was really surprised Somerset batted on at all given how little Hants have to offer with the bat. I did wonder at the start of the season whether eight points for a draw might result in this sort of delayed declaration - but I guess, on the plus side, it's more likely to result in players batting 'properly' in the first-class game; which may benefit the test side in the longer term.

sign of the chimes

Alistair20000

Was really surprised Somerset batted on at all given how little Hants have to offer with the bat. I did wonder at the start of the season whether eight points for a draw might result in this sort of delayed declaration - but I guess, on the plus side, it's more likely to result in players batting 'properly' in the first-class game; which may benefit the test side in the longer term.
On considering further the suggestion by the commentators that Somerset would prefer to go through with Hants rather than Gloucs I am having second thoughts. Gloucs have beaten Somerset and have a lucky rain wrecked draw so Gloucs would have a big points carry forward.

The rain would probably have wrecked the game anyway but Somerset were far too cautious. Will it come back to bite them ?

sign of the chimes

On considering further the suggestion by the commentators that Somerset would prefer to go through with Hants rather than Gloucs I am having second thoughts. Gloucs have beaten Somerset and have a lucky rain wrecked draw so Gloucs would have a big points carry forward.

The rain would probably have wrecked the game anyway but Somerset were far too cautious. Will it come back to bite them ?
I've been dealing with other stuff the last few days so haven't watched live and have just been keeping an eye on the overall state of play; I'd not considered any strategy coming in to play and think it would be bizarre with fixtures still to come and the table being so close overall. If you take the first three fixtures back in April out of the equation Hants have been pretty wretched; so very little chance of them finishing in the top two, favours or otherwise.

Alistair20000

I've been dealing with other stuff the last few days so haven't watched live and have just been keeping an eye on the overall state of play; I'd not considered any strategy coming in to play and think it would be bizarre with fixtures still to come and the table being so close overall. If you take the first three fixtures back in April out of the equation Hants have been pretty wretched; so very little chance of them finishing in the top two, favours or otherwise.
One big problem with Hampshire is the failure to knock over the tail time after time this season. Should never have let Somerset get 360 on Thursday from 113-7 or whatever it was and failing to get the last Gloucs wicket at the Rose Bowl was very, very costly. Without that shortcoming they would be getting away with some wretched batting.Keith Barker is topping the batting averages at present.

sign of the chimes

One big problem with Hampshire is the failure to knock over the tail time after time this season. Should never have let Somerset get 360 on Thursday from 113-7 or whatever it was and failing to get the last Gloucs wicket at the Rose Bowl was very, very costly. Without that shortcoming they would be getting away with some wretched batting.Keith Barker is topping the batting averages at present.
Agree in part - though Somerset seem to have made a fair proportion of their runs via the lower order throughout this season.

The Hampshire line-up feels a bit like one of many lower league football sides at the moment - you look at them and think they should be doing okay because they've got player x and player y - but actually the whole set up and ethos feels likely to deliver less than the sum of the parts. Vince as captain?!

Alistair20000

Agree in part - though Somerset seem to have made a fair proportion of their runs via the lower order throughout this season.

The Hampshire line-up feels a bit like one of many lower league football sides at the moment - you look at them and think they should be doing okay because they've got player x and player y - but actually the whole set up and ethos feels likely to deliver less than the sum of the parts. Vince as captain?!
Missing Carbs, Jimmy Adams, Neil McKenzie and Nic Pothas. None of the replacements are in the same league although McManus batted well on Friday.

Somerset may be getting closer to sorting out their top order woes.

Alistair20000

Disappointing T20 defeat for Somerset against bleddy Essex in the first game.