• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
69 all out.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry 240 all out. Jack with 6 for 43.
Somerset eschewing the follow on!
Odd that. Sorry needed 189 to avoid an innings defeat. No way were they going to get that plus enough to give them a chance of bowling out Somerset in the overs left available. Somerset could have lost this game and still progressed to Division 1 whatever happened at Cheltenham. Maybe they wanted the bowlers and fielders to have a rest.

Back to Cheltenham where Gloucs put up a very determined effort there today attempting to deny Hampshire but their last three wickets were blown away for next to nothing. Tom Lace battled superbly for his century but got out LBW shouldering arms to very part time off spinner Joe Weatherley.

Somerset will be happy Hampshire have progressed as they will carry forward into Division 1 half the points won in the two group games the teams played giving them a handy head start. Had Gloucs progressed they would have had a head start on Somerset having won one and drawn one. Gloucs are in Division 2 despite winning 5 games, as many as Yaaarkshire and one more than both Hants and Somerset. Hants and Somerset will not play each other unless they finish first and second and meet in the final.

Let’s hope for good September weather and no forced mass team changes due to Mr Covid

Alistair20000

Exeter lad Ben Green to skipper Somerset in the dumbed down, emasculated Royal London 50 over gig now being called a “development tournament”

I shall be watching these games rather then itinerant mercenaries playing for meaningless corporate franchises in the wretched Hundred

sign of the chimes

Exeter lad Ben Green to skipper Somerset in the dumbed down, emasculated Royal London 50 over gig now being called a “development tournament”

I shall be watching these games rather then itinerant mercenaries playing for meaningless corporate franchises in the wretched Hundred
I think I shall likely watch neither but I applaud the sentiment. The Royal London feels a bit like the early stages of the old Leyland DAF/Freight Rover Trophy (in the days before all the PL development nonsense).

The Hundred is a joke - in 'normal' times I think it would have been exposed as a cricketing equivalent to an episode of Des O'Connor tonight. Given the withdrawals and likely troubles to come, I suspect it will end up more like an episode of Pebble Mill at One where their star turn, Russ Abbot, has had to drop out at the last minute and instead they've had to do a fifteen minute interview with Roger Whittaker instead.

Alistair20000

Tremendous T20 at the Ageas this afternoon with Hampshire chasing down 185 at more than 14 an over to give themselves a chance of a Q/F spot. It looked all over as the Welsh posted a daunting 184, a tall enough order over a full 20 overs. It was clear from the wireless commentary that Hampshire needed to win inside 14 overs to force the net run rate up to get above Sorry. With some stupendous clean hitting and a couple of dropped catches by Glamorgan they got there with an over to spare and a run rate of over 14 an over.

They now need Somerset to beat Gloucester or Kent to beat Sussex to grab an unlikely Q/F slot having sat rock bottom not that long ago.

It was a bleddy hot afternoon in the sun.

The double header on Friday defeating both Essex and Sussex in difficult games was also great entertainment.

Irrespective of what else happens this evening Sorry have been given the The Elbow. (y)

Some Belgian beers now await from a small restaurant here in Southsea where we have spent the weekend.

Rosencrantz

Tom Lammenby bludgeons 90 to get Somerset from a "nowhere near" total at 84/5 after 14 overs to 183/7. One defended with some ease in the end by the bowlers. Overton and Brooks bowled particularly well backed up by Ben Green.

Alistair20000

Tom Lammenby bludgeons 90 to get Somerset from a "nowhere near" total at 84/5 after 14 overs to 183/7. One defended with some ease in the end by the bowlers. Overton and Brooks bowled particularly well backed up by Ben Green.
Yep, I did not see it but looking at the scorecard that was a tremendous last 6 overs. Hampshire owe Tom Lammonby several jugs for that as a Covid depleted Kent were not going to beat Sussex.

Secures the home Q/F at the County Ground too

Alistair20000

Home to Lanky for the Cidermen in the Q/F

Colesman Ballz

Oh dear, Somerset lose at home to the bleddy CORNISH in todays match !

Grecian2K

Oh dear, Somerset lose at home to the bleddy CORNISH in todays match !
Big selection mistake! We should have picked Devon.
Nevertheless kudos to the Cornish - notice they had some chap called KELLOW did rather well for them.