• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2021

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sam Curran took us very close to an unlikely win.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The "new" (hastily cobbled together) 2021 County Championship starts tomorrow.
The Cidermen grouped with Gloucs, Hants, Leics, Middles*x & Sorrey for the opening games.
How do you rate their chances this year?

Legohead

Banned
Yorkshire! Yorkshire! Yorkshire!;) :LOL:

sign of the chimes

The Cidermen grouped with Gloucs, Hants, Leics, Middles*x & Sorrey for the opening games.
The new format seems a bit bizarre. I'd understand if they were keeping it all regional this summer due to the pandemic, but these are seeded groups (albeit with a few derbies preserved). Additionally, the ECB has said said they will review at the end of the season; which makes it sound as though they're considering replacing the two-division CC for good, which would be a shame. I won't get started on the marginalisation of the CC to April/May and September which has been a feature of recent years BC (Before CovID) - or the introduction of the hare-brained Hundred :-(

Hants look pretty solid with the ball if they can stay fit- Kyle Abbott and Mohammad Abbas, with back up from the likes of Liam Dawson and Mason Crane: seemingly less solid with the bat where, unless someone like Nye Donald has a real breakthrough season, a lot is going to rest on the shoulders of James Vince and Sam Northeast.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surrey will struggle, I know you will all very disappointed to hear!

Our pace attack will rely on imports Topley and Overton, and the team will endlessly be chopped and changed as IPL/England squads kick in. Plus someone usually does their shoulder in April and is then out for the season. That said, Gloucester first up should give a chance of a win if it stays dry. And thank feck no visit to Chelmsford, at least in the round robin stage.

Alistair20000

Somerset the strongest red ball team in this group. Nailed on top two finish to progress to the league 1 group. Good chance Somerset and Essex will be battling it out to be champions.

Alistair20000

The new format seems a bit bizarre. I'd understand if they were keeping it all regional this summer due to the pandemic, but these are seeded groups (albeit with a few derbies preserved). Additionally, the ECB has said said they will review at the end of the season; which makes it sound as though they're considering replacing the two-division CC for good, which would be a shame. I won't get started on the marginalisation of the CC to April/May and September which has been a feature of recent years BC (Before CovID) - or the introduction of the hare-brained Hundred :-(

Hants look pretty solid with the ball if they can stay fit- Kyle Abbott and Mohammad Abbas, with back up from the likes of Liam Dawson and Mason Crane: seemingly less solid with the bat where, unless someone like Nye Donald has a real breakthrough season, a lot is going to rest on the shoulders of James Vince and Sam Northeast.
The format seems unnecessarily complicated. (n)

The authorities can also stick their wretched Hundred :mad: where the sun don’t shine.

Hants bowling unit looks strong but Barker and Fuller are currently unfit. On paper Mohammad Abbas a star signing to replace Fidel Edwards. The batting is shaky with none of the youngsters tried last season really establishing themselves. Interesting that Felix Organ is in the 13 for the trip to Grace Road. The Club clearly think it is worth persevering with him. Donald still injured but with Dawson back as an all rounder that should help a bit. Tom Alsop needs to up his red ball average by 10 runs.

A fair chance of getting to the league 1 at stage 2 with Somerset.

sign of the chimes

The format seems unnecessarily complicated. (n)

The authorities can also stick their wretched Hundred :mad: where the sun don’t shine.

Hants bowling unit looks strong but Barker and Fuller are currently unfit. On paper Mohammad Abbas a star signing to replace Fidel Edwards. The batting is shaky with none of the youngsters tried last season really establishing themselves. Interesting that Felix Organ is in the 13 for the trip to Grace Road. The Club clearly think it is worth persevering with him. Donald still injured but with Dawson back as an all rounder that should help a bit. Tom Alsop needs to up his red ball average by 10 runs.

A fair chance of getting to the league 1 at stage 2 with Somerset.
Think that's a fair summary. I've high hopes for Felix Organ, not least in hope that a young Holding breaks through at one of the other counties. I think the batting goes back further than last season which was, obviously, an odd affair.

Beyond the Hants/Somerset group, I reckon Notts might have a good summer. I've a strange feeling that we may witness the second coming of Hasseb Hameed following his brief renaissance last summer - I wonder whether the increase in the number of points awarded for a draw may help him further. I also like Ben Duckett.

I think you're spot on about prospects for Essex.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reassuring to see that Gloucester's mediocre attack of wibbly wobblers has dismissed 2 current England test players and one former one before 50 is on the board.

#sameoldsurrey
#goodstartlads

Alistair20000

Reassuring to see that Gloucester's mediocre attack of wibbly wobblers has dismissed 2 current England test players and one former one before 50 is on the board.

#sameoldsurrey
#goodstartlads
A bit unfair on David Payne there RP. He is quite brisk but tends to do better in the white ball gigs. Bit of a thorn in the side of Sorry IIRC. 2015 Royal London final and his final over ? ;) How your boys made a Horlicks of that run chase. 🤦‍♂️

As regards the current match, that fine old yeoman of the Surrey shire may well get your boys to a decent total.