• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2018

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know this is the 2018 thread and 2020 is 2 years off, but what do posters think about the new city based franchise competition ? Clown outfits, custard pies to throw, 100 ball innings with a 10 ball final over.

As far as this particular curmudgeon is concerned they can stick it all where the sun don’t shine.
Think that's the point Al, they don't want us curmudgeons. They want a "whole new audience"

The 100 balls thing is just the start, there will be countless other gimmicks. Maybe bowlers don't field, 'rush' wicketkeepers, boundaries pulled in, no lbw...

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The IPL is a million miles ahead of our domestic competition the sooner we try and get it closer the better

Antony Moxey

The IPL is a million miles ahead of our domestic competition the sooner we try and get it closer the better
Interesting Creds - better for who? I have absolutely zero interest in the IPL, Big Bash or any of the other overseas domestic T20 competitions watching teams and players I’ve never heard of and never cared about. Simply smashing balls over the rope doesn’t matter to me unless you have a vested interest yourself. Same as European football leagues - give me Stoke v Huddersfield any day over Inter v Atalanta or Getafe v Celia Vigo, it does nothing for me.

Plus,I guess,it does nothing for one day or test cricket either, to me it’s simply a money making exercise.

Alistair20000

Think that's the point Al, they don't want us curmudgeons. They want a "whole new audience"

The 100 balls thing is just the start, there will be countless other gimmicks. Maybe bowlers don't field, 'rush' wicketkeepers, boundaries pulled in, no lbw...
Wild card batsmen allowed in at no notice to give the bowler something to think about, captains to perform conjuring tricks in the interval between innings, batsmen out first ball to get a chance of reinstatement if they hit a six off the next ball. Yep the gimmicks will multiply.

I get the need to attract a wider audience and more money into the game but once that new audience gets bored and moves on to the next fad where will the game be ?

Like Ant I have no interest in watching the IPL and Big Bash and whatever the other stuff is called. Much prefer to watch "my" teams Hampshire and Somerset even if the so called celeb players are absent and to so called entertainment value is reduced.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
This competition will be based at Test grounds, so the nearest teams to the South-West will be at Cardiff and Southampton.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
First trip of the season to the Oval this afternoon.

Surrey declared mid-afternoon after Hampshire's attack toiled for little reward under a clear sky with Pope last out going for big one to bring up his 150. Hampshire are under the cosh at 100 odd for 4 chasing the thick end of 500. Highlight of the day was the young lad Virdi dismissing Amla and Vince lbw in the same over when both looked well set. On first viewing, he looks promising. Gives it a good rip.

Alistair20000

Hampshire’s first innings card looks particularly gruesome and unless the weather intervenes a very heavy defeat beckons. :(

Despite the signing of Amla the batting still looks a bit frail.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
3 bowlers can be used to bowl the 10 ball last over!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Now they're just making it up as they go along.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
It's a disaster.

Best thing they can do to try to close the advantage gap between bat and ball is to limit the time between deliveries, softer balls with a more pronounced seam. Kookaburra ball is a dud.