• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2017

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I feel a twinge of sympathy for Bancroft. Think he has been stitched up.

Yes he did it, and yes he is a grown man who should be able to say "whoa, hold on a minute we shouldn't be doing this" but when the 2 people doing the asking/telling are the hitherto untouchable leaders of Australian cricket and one of them is the reigning "Australian of the Year", then a rookie with 7 games under his belt and a so-so average in those games who is desperate to ingratiate himself with those who make the decisions on who to pick (with all the accompanying financial benefits that follow), might find it hard to say no.

Naive in the extreme yes, but 9 month ban seems harsh. Book should be thrown at Warner and Smith, which to be fair to Cricket Australia (as opposed to the useless ICC), they largely have.

That said, I think Somerset would be wise to un-offer employment for this summer. They don't need all the hullaballoo that will accompany every appearance. With the Overton's, the spin duo plus plenty of wily heads, it should be a half-decent season for the Cidermen.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
No sympathy from this particular curmudgeon. The Authorities need to come down hard on this cheating. Smith and Warner need to be dealt with even more severely.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did say a twinge Al.

Have you never had a boss who asked you to "bend a few rules"?

Alistair20000

I did say a twinge Al.

Have you never had a boss who asked you to "bend a few rules"?
No but I might be in a minority. Worked for the Inland Revenue and everything was played pretty straight down the line in those days. Since then 30+ years of working for myself and I don’t tell myself to bend any rules. :)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
No but I might be in a minority. Worked for the Inland Revenue and everything was played pretty straight down the line in those days. Since then 30+ years of working for myself and I don’t tell myself to bend any rules. :)
They could do with you back at the Revenue. I'm sure you wouldn't be letting Google, Facebook et al off with such a negotiated paltry contribution to the Exchequer!

Anyway back to the Cricket. Lehmann is damn lucky to still be in post. Did he know, didn't he know - who knows. He was the coach and created the climate for it to happen. If he had any honour he would step down, or have been encouraged to step down else be sacked.

Alistair20000

I would hate to work for HMRC these days RP. It is a sad and broken shadow of its very professional predecessor. Hard for any government organisation to beat the big multinationals mind. They are prepared to pay big bucks for the best advice.

And yes, Lehmann ought to fall on his sword.

LOG

I feel a twinge of sympathy for Bancroft. Think he has been stitched up.

Yes he did it, and yes he is a grown man who should be able to say "whoa, hold on a minute we shouldn't be doing this" but when the 2 people doing the asking/telling are the hitherto untouchable leaders of Australian cricket and one of them is the reigning "Australian of the Year", then a rookie with 7 games under his belt and a so-so average in those games who is desperate to ingratiate himself with those who make the decisions on who to pick (with all the accompanying financial benefits that follow), might find it hard to say no.
What i find most astounding about this is how they thought they could get away with it knowing there were cameras everywhere.

Whilst not in any way backing what he did, I do, however, also have a twinge of sympathy for Bancroft, his biggest crime him being a bit stupid. In the latest podcast he does, Andrew Flintoff tells of how at 17 he was told by senior Lancs players to sledge Matthew Hayden during a county match. A fellow presenter suggested that being 17 he was probably not best placed to do this but he said it was because nobody else wanted to do it and it was just the culture that senior players would divvy out the dirty work to those keen to impress knowing that they'd always do as they were told (not exactly word for word but that was the gist of it).

Alistair20000

Bancroft is 25 and old enough to know better.

You always were a big softie Logster. :)

LOG

I'm also a sandpaper merchant so that probably doesn't help.

Colesman Ballz

Despite saying he would not quit, just announced that Lehmann is stepping down at the end of the current South African tour !
His decision or were a number of size 12 cricket boots applied to his sorry derriere ? Hmmm ! :S