• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Official Match Day Thread

Legohead

Banned
Really impressed with the character shown today in what was potentially a very tricky game. I think we all but eliminated the play off aspirations of Alex with this win. Elegant finish from Jay and some tenacious performances all round. So i just want to praise everyone associated with the club today for a vital 3 points. Bring on the (g)imps!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gordon Banks was only 5ft 10in.
I dont see how height entered into that goal. An error of judgement possibly?

budegrecian

Well, what else did you expect with young Collins keeping the rhythm in midfield.

Forget the Genesis that might have been KMT'S appointment. Archie could well turn out to be THIS season's Revelation from the ECFC youth production line!
Could! Could? He most certainly is.:)

budegrecian

4-5-1

Sweeney, O’Shea, moxey, Wilson

Holmes, Jay, Taylor, Collins, Williams

Bowman

Jay was part of a midfield triangle with Taylor and Collins.

When woody came on for Williams, Wilson went right midfield and Holmes went to the left.
I saw it slightly differently; It looked more of a 4-3-3 to me, with Holmes & Williams wide of Bowman. But I guess that's not much different from a 4-5-1.
Crewe had a good 5 minutes either side of half time when they srarted to get a lot of crosses in & ultimately scored. MT then brought on Woody & played a back 3, with Woody & Kane as wing backs as you suggest, with Holmes tucking in behind Bowman.
However you see it, it was a very clever move from MT as it certainly nullified the threat they previously posed from wide positions & we clearly looked the better side thereafter & deserved our win.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could! Could? He most certainly is.:)
After Jordan Storey’s move coming out of the blue pre season I would not be at all surprised to see Archie on his way too. We need to enjoy watching him play for City while we can.

Lammie

Just had another look at the Randell Williams shot that hit the post. Brilliant cross from Holmes, picks him out level with the left post about 8 yards out under no pressure. Instead of taking it on his right foot which would have given him a perfect angle to side foot into the net he opts to volley it with the left. Straight at the post. The commentators said they didn't have a very good view fo that end to be fair to them but calling it a "brilliant effort"was generous in the extreme.
Probably a fair comment... Hindsight is a wonderful thing though mate! 😁 the angle we had wasn’t as good as yours, the tv cameras are the other side of the ground... in real time , it happened so quickly, and I always want to give City players the benefit of the doubt. What a ball by Holmsey though.. flashback to the ball he played for Stockley at the same end last year!

Lammie

So pleased for MJ. MT said he played as part of a midfield three. What then was the formation(s)?

(Quite a few of us on here have suggested that Matt Jay would be better deployed in midfield)
Started a 4 2 3 1... but at half time , Crewe moved Bowery inside as he was getting no joy wide.... and caught us out. Matt responded by changing our shape to a 3 5 2. Tactically, it was his best result as a manager today...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I enjoyed yesterday's game of football. proper stuff, no sitting back and counter-attacking, but we took the game to Crewe and tried to impose ourselves on the game. Apart from the first 5 minutes of the second half, it was very much our game. Just need to find the back of the net more often.

Oldsmobile-88

Important result on the back of the loss at home last week & with Lincoln next up.
Good tactical change from Matt Taylor when Crewe were really on top for the 1st 10 mins of the 2nd half down the Grecian left,Woodman for Randall(cue groaning from some in the stand) & Kane Wilson going to the right midfield was a great move,I think we would have lost the game without that change.

Another excellent Grecian turnout & support thoughout the game.

Red Devon

A word for the pitch yesterday it was in excellent condition more like something you’d expect in September rather than the end of February.