• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe that with the forward movement from Atangana when he gets a start the pattern of play development will change and involve a more direct approach leading to more opportunities from the "old fashioned inside " positions involving Seymoure, Law and Taylor instead of relying on Bowman. Or am I completely " "off base" with my reasoning ?
When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's Seymoure.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Special mention for Sweeney today, barely put a foot wrong which is more than you can say for Deano.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's Seymoure.
Wasn’t the line

‘When you’re sat in Row Z
And the ball hits your head
That’s Zamora’

suffolklad

You have to say that they were extremely lucky with their goal. Yes we missed some chances but to call Bowman on what i've seen from the highlights is extremely hard ( in my opinion)

IndoMike

Fisher has looked good but he has only played at the end of games against tiring defences and most notably he hasn't scored or even looked like scoring. I know that people are frustrated but I will be very surprised if Ryan doesn't start next week. I think people calling him a carthorse are being very unfair. He leads the line very well each week, soaking up a lot of stick from defenders and always giving them a hard time. His first touch is good as is his vision, regularly bringing others into the game. He will click I'm sure. Getting Ajose fit and firing is the most important thing. I also think that people are being unfair when they say that Matt has failed at signing strikers. I'm sure that he has tried very hard and this is the best that he could do. Good strikers command huge wages at this level and they are rarer than rocking horse dung. I'm sure that Nicky Maynard at Mansfield is on more than Ajose and look how well he's done this season.
Until Fisher gets a run in the team I don't think we can say if he would be better than Bowman or not. But you're right, it's clear that Sir Matt prefers Bowman and believes he's an integral part of the team. Not sure what Bowman's good chance - execution ratio is, but judging from the comments he needs 4 or 5 good chances to put one away. Bowman needs a mate up front, but if we give him one we have to take out someone from midfield, which presents its own problems.
How did Law play today? Has he gone off the boil? And what about Sparkes? He's been substituted the last couple of games : is he getting knackered or is it for tactical reasons?
Overall it's clear that we can play good football but we must take those chances.
But, to go to Crewe, who were motoring along, and be unlucky not to win is still a good sign.

IndoMike

Artell quite complementary about us.
Comes across as very honest about his team's performance. He was very complimentary about City, too.

Rog H K

Walked on them 1st half. They were chasing shadows. We should have put them to bed. We made them look bottom table 1st half. 2nd half we were still on top and had chances and could and should have killed them off. They were shooting to their home fans. They got lucky IMHO and they raised their game on the back of it but we still could have won it. We deserved more than a point. 3? 2.99 maybe!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman definitely should have scored today but I thought the commentators were right to praise him when he came off. He's constantly busy and getting into the right positions ahead of his marker and that's why he gets chances. Honestly some of the football we played first half was unbelievable today and although we didn't win the game that really is something to be proud of. When we're good away from home we look like a football team from a higher level. Remember what Luton looked like at our place in the year they went up? Like that, without the clinical finishing. I still think if we play as well as we did today consistently we'll go up automatically. I think Matt Taylor needs to be careful with his comments for the reasons others have said, balance criticism with praise, because most of the players today deserve a lot more praise than criticism. Last week he was very quick to blame the players but I didn't think he had that great game himself regarding the substitutions particularly. Our previous manager would have been lambasted by the fans after a performance like that so he's lucky he's still fresh in the job. However, he does seem to know exactly what he's doing and the coaching the players are getting is ideal for winning games at this level. He's turned Sparkes into an excellent left wing back and Williams into a real danger man down the right. Players know their roles in this team and work well together. I'm optimistic.

Oldsmobile-88

By the way ( and this is a genuine question,not a coded criticism) does anyone know why has Jack Sparkes been subbed in the last two games when some posters have him down for MoTM?
Today he was taken off in a defensive reshuffle when Arron Martin was brought on..Good call because Crewe were getting on top down the left flank.

Certainly not MOM.Parkes was immense today closely followed by Jake Taylor.

What a great game to watch.Most of us there had that feeling at HT that we would pay for not taking those chances & were sadly proved correct.
It looks like a good point,but all 3 should have been tucked up by HT.

PeteUSA

And an absolutely outstanding referee who doesnt even get a mention?

That could have changed though if the referee had given Crewe a penalty late in the second half. Their manager mentions it, and I have to say I waited with baited breath when "the incident" came and went. Based on this seasons farcical penalty rules, that should have been a pen for handball. No video evidence to review, you either saw it at the time at the game, or on iFollow.