• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cowshed Primroses.

Andy_H

We are in the process of putting together an information board recording the creation of The Memorial Garden and as such, are looking for any photos of the Primroses that used to be on the bank in front of The Cowshed stand.
If anybody has any photos, either B&W or, if you were that rich, colour then we would be interested to hear from you. All we want to do is copy one or two to show where the Primroses originally were.
If you can help then please pm me and we''l work from there.

Nigel E

This picture appears on the dust jacket of Mike Blackstone's book "Exeter City FC - A Grecian Anthology".

I think he is on this forum as "Heysham Mike" and he might know where it was sourced from

20210428_162635.jpg

Andy_H

Brilliant!

A perfect picture and they're all in full bloom, not only that but it's a great reminiscence of the old Cow Shed as i remember it when i first started watching ECFC.

I'd hazard a guess that this picture was taken mid/late 70s, by the fact that the TV gantry is quite 'H&S compliant', as opposed to the 'scaffolding slung under the roof' of earlier!

Boyo

I'd hazard a guess that this picture was taken mid/late 70s, by the fact that the TV gantry is quite 'H&S compliant', as opposed to the 'scaffolding slung under the roof' of earlier!
The TV gantry was "upgraded" in the 90's. Looking at the fashion I'd say this was mid 90's.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
My memory of the cowshed as a kid was that it was about 3 times the size of that!

gilbertshoot

Brilliant!

A perfect picture and they're all in full bloom, not only that but it's a great reminiscence of the old Cow Shed as i remember it when i first started watching ECFC.

I remember the rickety ladder that the poor reporters had to climb to get up there. If it was the Arg** loving Chris Fear climbing it, it would get a good old shaking as he went up. Even Motson looked terrified going up for the 81 Newcastle game.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Brilliant picture! I never saw the primroses look so spectacular. And that upgraded gantry with the guard-rails too! Where did that go to I wonder? It would strap nicely onto the roof of the NOG!

Mark Tyler

When ITV Westcountry took over from TSW in 1993 it was decided that the old gantry didn't quite meet H and S requirements (surprisingly !). I believe it was paid for by WTV and then 'gifted' to the club for ongoing maintenance. As someone who occasionally used the gantry I can tell you it was quite intimidating being up there. I almost felt guilty for giving the likes of Chris Fear a hard time in the 70s

chunkymorrinmunter

Don Arnold wasn't to keen on that ladder either.

gilbertshoot

The Cowshed Primroses would be a great name for a band