• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
All over 50's to be offered a booster jab in the Autumn, Sensible I think and I'll take it up.
Healthcare workers and carers too, which is a bonus. We're currently living in hospital, and the rapidly increasing covid numbers are scary both from the point of view of infection and possible staff shortages.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Such wonderful countryside they ride through! I've enjoyed the last two days.
Someone should start a thread about it😁

DB9

Healthcare workers and carers too, which is a bonus. We're currently living in hospital, and the rapidly increasing covid numbers are scary both from the point of view of infection and possible staff shortages.
Did hear today from a NHS/medical bigwig saying although this wave is running amok there are "Only" 190 people in ICU which if true and i don't doubt it is much better than say two years ago, As for people being infected, is it because the tests are no longer free for the majority of us and people who just can't afford to take time off?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did hear today from a NHS/medical bigwig saying although this wave is running amok there are "Only" 190 people in ICU which if true and i don't doubt it is much better than say two years ago, As for people being infected, is it because the tests are no longer free for the majority of us and people who just can't afford to take time off?
For the vast majority of people it's not likely to be that bad. This of course means that they may not alter their habits (going out to work etc.) leading to more infections, which is bad news for the vulnerable. That would be one of the reasons for increased infections, plus new variants and the gradual lowering of immunity from vaccines.

DB9

For the vast majority of people it's not likely to be that bad. This of course means that they may not alter their habits (going out to work etc.) leading to more infections, which is bad news for the vulnerable. That would be one of the reasons for increased infections, plus new variants and the gradual lowering of immunity from vaccines.
All very true Hermann but with pressure on people's wallets, Having time off without pay if you just feel a bit off colour not everyone can afford to do that. Remember at the begining of all this we were told to (By Law) stay home/not see anyone if infected, Even if you have a mild dose, Now we're in the "Living with it" mode which was always going to happen.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
All very true Hermann but with pressure on people's wallets, Having time off without pay if you just feel a bit off colour not everyone can afford to do that. Remember at the begining of all this we were told to (By Law) stay home/not see anyone if infected, Even if you have a mild dose, Now we're in the "Living with it" mode which was always going to happen.
Absolutely people have to live their lives. I'm just happy they've upped the boosting, as it gives a tiny bit more peace of mind to those of us in vulnerable situations.

DB9

Absolutely people have to live their lives. I'm just happy they've upped the boosting, as it gives a tiny bit more peace of mind to those of us in vulnerable situations.
TBH Herm, vaccines and yearly boosters are the best way of living with it until it might hopefully just die out.

Alistair20000

TBH Herm, vaccines and yearly boosters are the best way of living with it until it might hopefully just die out.
Covid will never completely die out. We just need to hope it does not mutate into a more deadly variant.

History of previous diseases of this nature is that they mutate into something less deadly.

DB9

Covid will never completely die out. We just need to hope it does not mutate into a more deadly variant.

History of previous diseases of this nature is that they mutate into something less deadly.
That's why I said might Al, Like you say it'll mutate hopefully into a mild bug like others.

Spoonz Red E

This.

There is a concern though with long Covid which will need monitoring and maybe further resources down the line.