• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes but deaths/infections lag behind infection rates as people don't die straight away ! unfortunately the recent surge in new cases will be reflected in higher fatalities in a few weeks time.

Don't forget the time of posting this there are 400k people who have covid in this country , and doubtless the figure is likely to be well over half a million if you include people that have Covid but don't realise it.

In addition, the reason for the decline in cases after a peak in early January 2021 can be attributed to the efficacy of the Lockdown. The Government is sticking to it's libertarian principles & no further lockdowns nor any restrictions are planned, therefore rises in cases , deaths and disruption should continue unabated until Spring 2022.
At current death rate the Government is happy to allow 150 people to die daily which equates to over 50k pa (5x a usual Flu year).
Is that acceptable to society or should we do easy controls like wear masks indoors etc to reduce it ?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes but deaths/infections lag behind infection rates as people don't die straight away ! unfortunately the recent surge in new cases will be reflected in higher fatalities in a few weeks time.

Don't forget the time of posting this there are 400k people who have covid in this country , and doubtless the figure is likely to be well over half a million if you include people that have Covid but don't realise it.

In addition, the reason for the decline in cases after a peak in early January 2021 can be attributed to the efficacy of the Lockdown. The Government is sticking to it's libertarian principles & no further lockdowns nor any restrictions are planned, therefore rises in cases , deaths and disruption should continue unabated until Spring 2022.
Interested to know what level of hospitalisations and deaths would have you reaching for the lockdown lever again Suzi.

iscalad

New variation B.1.1.529 found in South Africa. It's a nasty one,apparently.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New variation B.1.1.529 found in South Africa. It's a nasty one,apparently.
Rather than media clickbait?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rather than media clickbait?
It seems the lessons from Wuhan need to learnt very quickly given that this variant has been detected in Botswana and Hong Kong among travellers from South Africa.
Acting now to prevent importation is vital otherwise our whole vaccination programme is fcked.
Some thought Wuhan was "media clickbait" - remember what happened ?
Stay Safe

Antony Moxey

I'm losing my touch, not one "I hope you die soon" message from anyone yet!
Maybe not, but you could man up a bit, you attention seeking baby.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kudos to the government for immediately stopping flights and bringing in quarantine restrictions.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

The pessimistic side of me is thinking the new variant (as alluded to in post #104) maybe already here and could spreading like wild-fire as there are absolutely no restrictions in place!!!

In answer to Tavy's point I would be looking at having a lockdown at some point over Xmas to act as a circuit breaker , perhaps adding 2 weeks onto the school holidays.

I would also be insisting on compulsory mask wearing, no large public gatherings,( including football matches!) reintroducing bubbles, introduce severe limits on foreign travel /quarantining anyone who arrives in the UK and i would be reintroducing an effective track & trace.

For me the first duty of the government is the safety of its citizens and this overrides in extreme occasions personal liberty. We are at war with this virus
if we are to win then we need everyone to give up some of their freedoms for the greater good.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The pessimistic side of me is thinking the new variant (as alluded to in post #104) maybe already here and could spreading like wild-fire as there are absolutely no restrictions in place!!!

In answer to Tavy's point I would be looking at having a lockdown at some point over Xmas to act as a circuit breaker , perhaps adding 2 weeks onto the school holidays.

I would also be insisting on compulsory mask wearing, no large public gatherings,( including football matches!) reintroducing bubbles, introduce severe limits on foreign travel /quarantining anyone who arrives in the UK and i would be reintroducing an effective track & trace.

For me the first duty of the government is the safety of its citizens and this overrides in extreme occasions personal liberty. We are at war with this virus
if we are to win then we need everyone to give up some of their freedoms for the greater good.
150 people are dying every day... 150.

As sad as that is, we need to get on with our lives. How many will die if we go into further lockdowns through mental health problems linked?

We've had 2 jabs, many are having 3 - we will literally never get out of this if even that doesn't work.

Totally against any further restrictions, if people want to sit in their houses for weeks that's their choice.

DB9

You are Legohead and I claim my £5. 👍