• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I may speak for our learned colleagues, I believe the theory is she has only delayed the inevitable outbreak. Of course by delaying it until the majority of people have been vaccinated she's probably saved thousands of lives, but that's not really relevant to the libertarians.
To delay opening up until the majority has been vaccinated is ‘herd immunity’ in its truest sense.

Grecian2K

She "answered" questions in Parliament yesterday. I haven't seen it, but my understanding is we ended up knowing less than when we started.
Read all about it here! 😂
The ever excellent Mr Crave on top form, as always.

tavyred

Ruefully wishing the U.K. had applied the NZ approach over here is as laughable as it’s always been.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Mandated mask wearing in indoor settings etc has been proven to work throughout Europe and beyond. Rumour has it that this Vote Leave government is under pressure from the libertarian ERG types to preserve 'freedom and choice' of the sovereign individual, rather than impose what is known to work.

Jacinda Adern has been maligned on here, even sarcastically labelled 'Saint Jacinda' by quite a few, for daring to put public health first. NZ has had 28 Covid deaths in total, and a thriving economy to boot. I don't understand how 'patriots' can ignore the willfull culling of their fellow countrymen, by their ongoing support for this government. What kind of patriotism is that ? Perhaps, they would kindly explain.
Pretty much sums up the whole situation perfectly.

angelic upstart

Ruefully wishing the U.K. had applied the NZ approach over here is as laughable as it’s always been.
How so?

iscalad

NZ is the back end of nowhere. We are a commercial and financial hub.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
NZ is the back end of nowhere.
Brings to mind a comment by a touring British Lion. Someone asked him, "How do you find NZ?" His reply: "Easy. You go to the end of the world and it's lying there."

Grecian2K

"Easy. You go to the end of the world and it's lying there."
Same could have been said about Johnson on his many recent freeby holidays!

angelic upstart

NZ is the back end of nowhere. We are a commercial and financial hub.
I thought they merely closed their borders for a few weeks and made everyone entering the country self-isolate for a couple of weeks once they reopened.

Something the UK copied about a year later.

tavyred

I thought they merely closed their borders for a few weeks and made everyone entering the country self-isolate for a couple of weeks once they reopened.

Something the UK copied about a year later.
Nope.