• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's quite clear now that Ferguson's numbers were absolute worst case scenario plus about 25% for good measure. And the Government's policies were constructed on those numbers.

I'm so angry that now we're now effectively going down the herd immunity route. Numbers are only subsiding out there now because so many people now have caught it. We should've been doing it some time ago instead of playing peek a boo which evidently was fairly ineffective in the long run.
Whilst I understand your point, the difference with Omicron is the fact that it's very mild, therefore despite the fact that we are all catching it, hospitalisations and deaths aren't increasing much.

Omicron is the best thing that could have happened to us and most scientists are now saying this is the end of the pandemic, covid will circulate for years of course but won't affect our way of life.

The question I would like answered by the government is, with omicron being so mild and likely to be over with come April, why are 100,000 NHS workers going to be given the boot?

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst I understand your point, the difference with Omicron is the fact that it's very mild, therefore despite the fact that we are all catching it, hospitalisations and deaths aren't increasing much.

Omicron is the best thing that could have happened to us and most scientists are now saying this is the end of the pandemic, covid will circulate for years of course but won't affect our way of life.

The question I would like answered by the government is, with omicron being so mild and likely to be over with come April, why are 100,000 NHS workers going to be given the boot?
Some people will say - ah but we didn't know how deadly Omicrom was going to be, so it was good we erred on the side of caution.

Is that how it's going to be now every 5 months when a new variant pops up (i.e. pants are wet and restrictions enacted)? Or now the weak Omicrom has happened, should the next one be assumed to be weak too? Or should the very Fergusonesque doomsday scenario of 6k deaths a day be assumed?

It'd be good to know now and 3 months before it happens.

Antony Moxey

It's good to know you have 20/20 hindsight and expect everyone to have a crystal ball handy.

Mr Jinx

It's good to know you have 20/20 hindsight and expect everyone to have a crystal ball handy.
Ok, so you'd then advocate Krankiesque restrictions every 5 months with the forthcoming new variants?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some people will say - ah but we didn't know how deadly Omicrom was going to be, so it was good we erred on the side of caution.

Is that how it's going to be now every 5 months when a new variant pops up (i.e. pants are wet and restrictions enacted)? Or now the weak Omicrom has happened, should the next one be assumed to be weak too? Or should the very Fergusonesque doomsday scenario of 6k deaths a day be assumed?

It'd be good to know now and 3 months before it happens.
Thankfully it seems to be widely agreed that the chances of a more dangerous strain out competing Omicron due to it's transmissibility is extremely unlikely.

Omicron is essentially acting like a very effective vaccine for us all.

tavyred

I do think there is a bit of ‘I told you so’ from some now it’s looks like we’re through the worst of it. Lest we forget that earlier variants hospitalised 20% of infections.
Caution was always going to win the day with a novel virus that is still barely two years old.

Mr Jinx

I do think there is a bit of ‘I told you so’ from some now it’s looks like we’re through the worst of it. Lest we forget that earlier variants hospitalised 20% of infections.
Caution was always going to win the day with a novel virus that is still barely two years old.
But each new variant is novel. And we're going to see them every 5 months until the end of time.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
But each new variant is novel. And we're going to see them every 5 months until the end of time.
Omicron has given us a great layer of protection.

Vaccinate the over 50's yearly and hopefully the rest of of can drash on.

tavyred

....but we didn’t treat the threat of the omicron variant in the same way as earlier less mild variants. England has the most open society and economy in Europe because it didn’t use a restrictions hammer to smash the omicron nut.

fred binneys head

But we're (mostly) all vaccinated now - either partly or fully. That's the huge difference.