• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

InTheBigBank

Resigned
As Chris Whitty stated as long ago as December 2020 that “we need to learn to live with Covid” excuse me for not throwing out any applause for this announcement.
I wonder what this 'living' with Covid plan is going to be.

I imagine some sort of alert system akin to the terrorism threat procedure.

If they keep up the mass testing, and therefore use community cases to outline the current alert level, I don't see how it's going to be any different to the last year.

Cases are high = masks, boosters & other arbitrary restrictions.

Cases are low = be alert, control the virus, protect the NHS.

I don't see a way back from New Normal now. The only way to get back to living is to entirely forget about Covid as some sort of novel illness and treat it like the flu. Though there are many people that won't let this happen.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to hear that there’s lots in the papers this morning about the Government working up a ‘living with COVID’ plan to be announced around March time. He obviously won’t get the credit on here, but I still think BJ hasn’t really put a foot wrong on our covid response since about February last year.
I beg to differ Tavy.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but looking back the UK was not only too late locking down, it was far too slow opening every thing up again.

He certainly got it wrong when freedom day was pushed back a month (to July) last summer. Then Eat Out to Help Out was somewhere between cringe and a joke,

Then there was the U-Turn late last year when Omicrom surfaced. You know....it's time to learn to live with Covid...actually no it isn't....and now actually it is, again....until the next variant that is....

Furlough became a bit of a racket....ditto testing. Ever wondered why airlines won't accept standard NHS pcr tests? And too much creedence is given to LFT's which are pretty useless, especially when it comes to omicrom.

Things could've been handled way better imho. Policy and direction seemed to be coming more from focus groups and by-election results more than anything. Plus ca change. Oh for a leader with real balls.

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

With protection coming from previous infection of Covid AND the common cold plus vaccines, if we can't live with Covid now we never will.

Antony Moxey

Ever wondered why airlines won't accept standard NHS pcr tests?
Because you can’t charge for them. Duh.

InTheBigBank

Resigned

With protection coming from previous infection of Covid AND the common cold plus vaccines, if we can't live with Covid now we never will.
I can't quite believe I'm reading this.

This was one of the earliest arguments against Neil Ferguson's modelling. He assumed that due to Covid's novelty there was no pre-existing immunity among the populous.

One of the assertions made by those sat on the lockdown-sceptic side of the scientific debate was that there would be a certain level of immunity due to past infection from other coronaviruses.

Something the conspiracy theorists have been touting for two years has now come out as breaking news on Sky, supported by research from the much trusted Imperial College white coats.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't quite believe I'm reading this.

This was one of the earliest arguments against Neil Ferguson's modelling. He assumed that due to Covid's novelty there was no pre-existing immunity among the populous.

One of the assertions made by those sat on the lockdown-sceptic side of the scientific debate was that there would be a certain level of immunity due to past infection from other coronaviruses.

Something the conspiracy theorists have been touting for two years has now come out as breaking news on Sky, supported by research from the much trusted Imperial College white coats.
Hardly. Cold viruses provide a tiny immune response. If the immune response was effective in any significant way we wouldn't have had 16 million cases of COVID. This discovery is more important to the development of future vaccines.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, but like all of the other coronaviruses (people seem to forget that covid is one of many), they become weaker and more widespread and we can live alongside it.

If you feel unwell, either live with it or stay at home like the good old days.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Hardly. Cold viruses provide a tiny immune response. If the immune response was effective in any significant way we wouldn't have had 16 million cases of COVID. This discovery is more important to the development of future vaccines.
What percentage of these cases were people who were actually sick?

tavyred

I beg to differ Tavy.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but looking back the UK was not only too late locking down, it was far too slow opening every thing up again.

He certainly got it wrong when freedom day was pushed back a month (to July) last summer. Then Eat Out to Help Out was somewhere between cringe and a joke,

Then there was the U-Turn late last year when Omicrom surfaced. You know....it's time to learn to live with Covid...actually no it isn't....and now actually it is, again....until the next variant that is....

Furlough became a bit of a racket....ditto testing. Ever wondered why airlines won't accept standard NHS pcr tests? And too much creedence is given to LFT's which are pretty useless, especially when it comes to omicrom.

Things could've been handled way better imho. Policy and direction seemed to be coming more from focus groups and by-election results more than anything. Plus ca change. Oh for a leader with real balls.
Of course the gung-ho leader taking us through a novel, and thus by definition completely unknown killer virus is always the best way to go eh Jinxy? 🙄
Always easy to call for ‘bravery’ when its not you with the responsibility for public health.

NB.
There are plenty of course who think BJ was too ‘brave’ in his actions re. COVID, your aware of the ‘let the bodies pile high’ narrative that these people use against BJ?