• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Coventry v Spurs FA Cup Final

GJW

They are showing the 1987 FA Cup final on Saturday on ITV AT 5pm. It’s not the whole match but a 1 hour programme. My favourite FA Cup final and not just because City played and won it. It was a great day and game. Wish I had been there at Wembley but still remember the whole day watching it at a friends house (another City fan) and about 20 others and then celebrating in the Braunton pubs for the rest of the night . All I will say is; Keith Houchen’s header. Waddle and Hoddle put in their place.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Brilliant final. I lived near Coventry at the time and watched it with my mates, then went down the park afterwards to recreate it. We lived opposite Keith Houchen and decorated his garage door for when he got home. Dave Phillips also lived in our village.

GJW

Almost as exciting as the day it happened. I’ve got an ice cold 1664 and a large Bar of Dairy Milk. I have the TV to myself for once. I’ve put a fiver on Coventry to win. Reckon I’m in for a good day.

Red Devon

Some football match Brian Moore commentating, Maggie Thatcher in the Royal Box......Was a gripping game that’s for sure...Coventry fully deserved their victory even without a large slice of luck...with the players Tottenham had in that side they really should have done better!

Reactions: GJW

Oldsmobile-88

I remember that day so well,working with a good friend of mine sadly for the last time.

Quickly travelling from Okehampton to Exeter via Crediton after we finished at 1pm.
In Crediton we saw a work colleague who was a huge Spurs fan walking across from the pub..”Up the Sky Blues self gratificationre” we shouted at him from the van(he was not particularly popular 😁) before getting back to my house & some home brew to watch the game.

Easily the best Cup Final for many years before & after imo.

Reactions: GJW

Oldsmobile-88

34 years ago today(16th May 1987)

There was a mess up with Spurs kit.Not all the shirts had the Sponsor(Holstein) on them 😁
2C38E2AD-0967-4C93-B0B0-25332AA70230.jpeg

IndoMike

They are showing the 1987 FA Cup final on Saturday on ITV AT 5pm. It’s not the whole match but a 1 hour programme. My favourite FA Cup final and not just because City played and won it. It was a great day and game. Wish I had been there at Wembley but still remember the whole day watching it at a friends house (another City fan) and about 20 others and then celebrating in the Braunton pubs for the rest of the night . All I will say is; Keith Houchen’s header. Waddle and Hoddle put in their place.
I was there. Came back from Spain for a holiday and me dad had got 4 tickets for me, my brother and nephews. It all went so quickly. I remember seeing Chris Waddle from close-up and realising how good these players were. The only Cup Final I ever saw at Wembley and was really lucky to be there.