• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Costa Rica v England

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Since SA 2010 when that showed how really bad we were, Four years later and for me we're still so far off the pace of other nations. Cant see anyone of this crop of players becoming world beaters or even world class. You'd think after all these years us England fans would be use to it but it still hurts. As for Suarez, What a complete **** Hopefully FIFA will throw the book at him

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
So that's the England future then we are fooked,never gonna see England win the World cup in my lifetime then,and as for the Biter well what a prat,and holding his teeth afterwards(rofl)
Pretty much my assessment of the early evening play.

I spent most of the 2nd half watching the Uruguay v Italy game because something actually on the game and the fact i knew England would not score. As for Suarez. Not once, not twice but three times a biter. Idiot

tavyred

Do you think that's what the people want though?

Club vs country etc.
I can only speak for myself and its what I want. The FA cannot run a competition like the premier league and allow its top club's not to have at least a perfunctory interest in the on going health of the national team. I have a feeling that most manure fans today would have had more interest in the Herrera signing than watching Jones and Smalling playing for England, two players that under their new foreign coach will probably be playing for the likes of West Brom sooner rather than later.

rp42

Since SA 2010 when that showed how really bad we were, Four years later and for me we're still so far off the pace of other nations. Cant see anyone of this crop of players becoming world beaters or even world class. You'd think after all these years us England fans would be use to it but it still hurts. As for Suarez, What a complete **** Hopefully FIFA will throw the book at him
Bet he catches in his mouth;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Banksy

I think I will give this one a miss. I hate dead matches.
I did too , and I'm glad I did . Now after this fiasco the hype talking up our chances of success in the Euro competition will no doubt begin in earnest and so it goes on round and round. I don't believe it any more and gave up being fooled by it many seasons ago I'm afraid. Mind you , if Uraguay had played Italy first instead of us and beaten them , Suarez had played his werewolf trick and got banned after the game so he wasn't around to score against us ........ but dream on , we still don't cut it on the international stage anyway.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cant see anyone of this crop of players becoming world beaters or even world class. You'd think after all these years us England fans would be use to it but it still hurts.
I think the misconception is that we need world beaters in order to have a great team.

What world beaters do Mexico have? Or Costa Rica? Or Switzerland? Or Algeria?

They have all progressed further in the tournament than we did because they play more effectively as a team. We still pick the 11 best players, not the 1 best team.

grecIAN Harris

You need a sprinkling of stardust BB but we do need to play to our strengths and play our way. At the moment we're still busy trying to copy the rest of the world. It is fair to say our old style is archaic but we don't play the game at 10mph. We never have and never will. We need to mix some new style with our historic way of playing.