• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Congratulations to England Women

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The lionesses did extremely well within their peer group, let's not forget it, with great team spirit, similar to a team that won promotion from the fourth division last year. But to compare them with the men is bizarre, too many loose passes slower pace, to many mishits, sorry AJ but you must be on something to think they would give our men's team a run for their money.

I am as proud as the next English person, and no doubt the lionesses will get pay parity at international level and they deserve it but not at league level. Watching the women's euros was exciting in that there were loads of goals but there is a reason for that

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree. The tournament in general was made up of mediocre teams, of which Germany and England were the better two. I thought Germany were the better team though, and I dont quite know how they let that slip. Indecisive keeping was a huge factor for the winner. I'm by no means a USA Womans Soccer follower, and I cant stand Alex Morgan or Megan Rapinoe, but they would have won yesterdays game against either team by 4 or 5. Pity about the Germans cynical fouling througout as well. I have to say I did enjoy the Nike Sports Bra advert when the winner went in, thats getting more publicity than the goal that was scored in some quarters!
Umm the USA isn't in Europe.

IndoMike

I think we just have to see women's football in its own light.if we compare with men's football it's clearly way below the standard. But apparently 17m watched the final, which is pretty impressive. It's not for me : I would get more enjoyment watching our U18s play, but if it entertains so many and encourages girls to take up footie, that's clearly a good thing

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry but that's got to be a joke.

The Women were brilliant, great team spirit, the tournament played in a friendly environment etc but let's not exaggerate. There were 16 teams in the tournament and about 12 of them wouldn't even beat Okehampton Argyle.
Not a joke as far as I am concerned the standard of football played throughput was excellent. As for your comment yes they may struggle but not for lack of ability the sad fact would be the mens teams not wishing to be embarrassed by losing to a woman’s would rely on brute force and ignorance.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Th
I'd argue that the ladies England team would give our men a run for the money, they're very organized, pass well and can finish.
They also have an excellent coach who without question could teach GS a thing or two about how to use his substitutes and game management generally.

Had he had anything like her ability in these areas of the game this would have been our second Euro success and not our first.

Although having said that in my opinion the girls are far more deserving of the accolade than the majority of the obscenely over paid and over hyped members of the mens team.

IndoMike

Not a joke as far as I am concerned the standard of football played throughput was excellent. As for your comment yes they may struggle but not for lack of ability the sad fact would be the mens teams not wishing to be embarrassed by losing to a woman’s would rely on brute force and ignorance.
I think you do a disservice to the men. Rather than use brute force I think the men would hold back. In a way that would be a kind of sexism in itself, but a gentlemanly sexism. But men v women at football is not necessary and isn't helpful to either branch.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you do a disservice to the men. Rather than use brute force I think the men would hold back. In a way that would be a kind of sexism in itself, but a gentlemanly sexism. But men v women at football is not necessary and isn't helpful to either branch.
Agree 100% with your last sentence.

grecIAN Harris

I'd argue that the ladies England team would give our men a run for the money, they're very organized, pass well and can finish.
Then you've never watched a game between the two sexes then. I watched the Girls Devon FA Development u/16 side (the cream of their age group in the county) play Marldon boys u/16 side a couple of years back. They got battered. Not because they can't play football and aren't technically decent players but because they just simply couldn't match them physically. They couldn't match them for speed, they couldn't match them for strength, they couldn't match them in the air, they couldn't match them for stamina, they couldn't play passes strong enough so that the lads didn't cut them out. My daughter Chloe was by far and away the quickest player in the squad, as she is now at City, and she couldn't keep pace with half the lads in the Marldon side. To suggest that any womens side could compete with their mens equivalent at comparable levels is pure folly. If you put the England Womens side up against the mens they would get battered. Do you honestly believe that Millie Bright could keep Harry Kane in her back pocket? No chance.

Rosencrantz

Shelley-Ann Fraser-Price is ok but her PB of 10.60 for the 100m wouldn't get her anywhere near the Men's heats in the Olympics...says practically nobody 🙄. Instead everyone would say she is a great athlete. Absolutely nothing going for comparisons which does no one any good and is completely facile so why do it in football? That goes for rugby, cricket and boxing as well among others that are not seen as a "traditionally" women's sport.

It was a great tournament with plenty of good football on show. The final lived up to what you would expect a major final to be. Tense, tactical, hard fought, niggly at times but with good quality shining through. England are expertly coached by Serina Weigman, the players have bought into what she wants to do and they have reaped the reward. They seem a good and likable bunch to boot. The standard is growing all the time.

England Men's team have also come on leaps and bound under Gareth Southgate. From where we were to get into the WC semi's and the Euro Final was a great leap forward. Again the players look like they have bought into what Gareth wants and have looked a good and likeable bunch who youngsters can look up to. The last few games have been tough but they have the opportunity to respond.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Shelley-Ann Fraser-Price is ok but her PB of 10.60 for the 100m wouldn't get her anywhere near the Men's heats in the Olympics...says practically nobody 🙄. Instead everyone would say she is a great athlete. Absolutely nothing going for comparisons which does no one any good and is completely facile so why do it in football? That goes for rugby, cricket and boxing as well among others that are not seen as a "traditionally" women's sport.

It was a great tournament with plenty of good football on show. The final lived up to what you would expect a major final to be. Tense, tactical, hard fought, niggly at times but with good quality shining through. England are expertly coached by Serina Weigman, the players have bought into what she wants to do and they have reaped the reward. They seem a good and likable bunch to boot. The standard is growing all the time.

England Men's team have also come on leaps and bound under Gareth Southgate. From where we were to get into the WC semi's and the Euro Final was a great leap forward. Again the players look like they have bought into what Gareth wants and have looked a good and likeable bunch who youngsters can look up to. The last few games have been tough but they have the opportunity to respond.
It's because nobody tries to compare male and female athletes. Although they compete in the same sport they stand alone from each other and don't try to be compared unlike what has been happening for the last two weeks and has been hyped up even more over the 24 hours. Womens football is so very different in so many ways both on the pitch and in the stands and the quicker it learns to stand on it's own two feet, and that goes back to my post earlier this afternoon, the better it will be for the womens game in England. It's a two way street though, the women have to stop trying to compare themselves to the men as much much as the male public need to stop comparing the womens game to the mens.

Last edited: