• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester v Exeter City Playoff MDT

budegrecian

Thought the referee was pretty good for a young'un.
Yes he was. However, I thought Pell was lucky not to get booked in the first half for a tackle, on Jake, that looked slightly worse than the one Atangana got sent off for at FG. Pell then got a booking in the 2nd half, which could easily have been his second.

hillview red

A generally solid performance from a defensive perspective. Thought we controlled large parts of the 2nd half without every threatening. Atangana, Taylor and Collins when he came on wrestled the initiative from them and helped us dominate possession. Also thought Sparkes did well against good opponents after so long out. If we could get him further forward somehow his delivery could cause havoc. To be honest though... I wasn’t sure where a goal was coming from. Randell was marked very well and when that happens we don’t appear to have a plan B.
Bowman and Jay is never going to be a prolific pairing. I like both individually but they’re never a combination in a million years.
Hope we see changes at the top of the pitch for the return leg and... I hope we don’t die wondering on Monday...

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
The main cause of that goal for me was replacing the entire left side of defence at the same time.We would never have conceded that free kick without it.

ChardGrecian

Very poor no pressure in the box and no threat. They let us pass back and forth across the back and middle with no real pressure. Need much better plan for Monday.

budegrecian

Dickenson in for Sparkes. Ajose, if he is available, for Martin. Parkes for Deano (Deano can't play twice in four days). Possibly Collins for Taylor, that's what I'd change for Monday. Oh, and rocket up Williams arse.
I've been underwhelmed by Dickenson, since he's been here. If Sparkes cant play on Monday, I'd prefer Craig Woodman. Wouldn't argue much about the rest, particularly the use of a rocket!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
You think? Maxted wouldnt have got to that shot in the first place. He's far too sluggish, STURTZ.
13 clean sheets this season might cast doubt on your learned assessment.

Lewis Ward 6 after a similar number of games.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Matt very kind - "tired legs caused the free kick". Dickenson had only just come on! Day at the seaside tomorrow. Apologies for this but I don't dislike Ryan Lowe
A very odd remark from the usually on the ball Matt Taylor. Sounded more like The Cheese.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
FFS Pete that goal was defo Wards bad positioning/setting up no way should it have gone in.

Not all over Colchester had nothing to offer (then neither did we). Where was Ajose. Drop Bowman and play both Jay and Ajose to take the p1$$ out of their central defenders who looked like camels.

Analysts were right Williams (looked disinterested) and Sparkes need to come further forward and ATTACK

UTC onto Wembury Attack Attack Attack

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Monday's tactics is a difficult one. On the one hand you don't want to be too gung ho from the off as if we leave ourselves open and concede early its pretty much game over. On the other hand we need to have a real go as theres nothing more frustrating than watching the game pass us by like today.

manc grecian

I'd consider switching to a 4 but not sure how you'd get Dickenson and Sparkes together. Richardson and Williams down the other side.