• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester Utd v Exeter City Discussion Thread

budegrecian

So, with Newport County safely to put to the sword & our 2nd place in the league strengthened, we move on to Colchester Utd.
Difficult to predict what the team will be given that this is the second of three games to be played within 6/7 days.
The first issue for MT is the left wing back position; with Woodman, Moxey & Sparkes all carrying injuries of some kind. Woody, we know, is still definitely out for a few more weeks & with Deanno not making the bench yesterday I'm assuming that he's unlikely to figure. Apparantly Jack's injury isn't as bad as first feared, but whether that means he could be available or not I wouldn't like to guess. Switching Williams to the left flank is an option as is recalling Hartridge, who seems to be playing well for Truro.
One of the concerns with Williams is MT rarely plays him in midweek games, preferring to give him a full weeks rest between games. But if needs must....
If Randell is either switched or rested, we have the option of playing eith Richardson or Jake in the right wing back position.
As with Williams, MT ideally usually likes to give Nicky Law & Lee Martin a full weeks rest between games, although the hectic Xmas/New Year schedule may make this impossible. However, Seymour or Ajose could play alongside Bowman upfront & I think it's likely that Collins will be recalled, especially if Jake is deployed in a wide position. I'm sure Matt Jay will get some game in the next two matches but I wouldn't like to predict in which game or in what capacity.
With Fisher injured, Bowman will have to struggle through all the games but he, & the others that have to play in all three can have a good recovery period by missing the Ipswich game. I guess Warren could also feature if any of the back three, need to be rested.
Great to see Ward back on the bench yesterday & I'd love to see him start tomorrow.

Colchester are doing well at present & would be right on our tails with a victory but I think we could sneak this one, although I always do. According to the club's website we can actually watch this on on Ifollow, which will be great as I can't make it. I'll be at Forest Green though.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
With our weakened squad, no genuine left back, a tiring game yesterday coming after various long trips, and an in form Colchester, I fear this game might be a bridge too far. A point would be great but I'm not optimistic.
If we win v Colchester I will stick my neck out and say City will get automatic promotion.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A point from each of the next two games away to two of our biggest promotion rivals would be fantastic. Normally I argue that a win and a loss (3 points) is better than 2 draws, but not in this situation.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Knollox John.

Anything less than six points (plus two clean sheets) and ALL of our goals being absolutely indisputable (and not due to referring errors) and dear old Pate WILL NOT BE HAPPY.

With nothing else to whinge about he'll have to resort to plan B and just go back to criticising Taggy and Matty.

And we wouldn't want that, would we?

exeter-loyal

Would expect a few changes for this one with FGR on the following Wednesday. Would take a point for this Colchester are on good form.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will be streamed on iFollow for those unable to go, and not at work.

Legohead

Banned
I too would take a point from this game. Colchester are right up there in the league, are doing really well, it's away from SJP, we've a few injuries and we've had some arduous matches of late so all things considered i'd be delighted to come away with a point. Ecstatic to take 3 and not too disappointed to return to Devon with none.

Sadly i can't get to this one and Colchester is a ground i've not yet been to so disappointed about that.

I'm thinking it will be an open affair and i'm going for a 2-2 draw.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly i can't get to this one and Colchester is a ground i've not yet been to so disappointed about that.
You're not missing much. It's a soulless concrete box on a bypass miles from the nearest pub. And their fans are not much better.

Legohead

Banned
You're not missing much. It's a soulless concrete box on a bypass miles from the nearest pub. And their fans are not much better.
I have heard some no so favourable stories about the ground and it's environs. I'd still like to tick it off the list though. Makes you wonder what some people are thinking when they build some of these new grounds and there's no character about them or nothing nearby.

GrecianExile

Not easy to call this game, a tough long away journey in the middle of a hectic schedule of games on heavy energy sapping pitches with a few injuries in the squad. I’d love a win but a draw I would still see as a valuable point earned to be honest. Like others I think there will be a few changes to the side given the recent games and upcoming game against the vegans on Wednesday.

im going to sit on the fence and predict a tight 1-1 with a Randell Williams goal