• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Statement: Zero tolerance on racist and discriminatory abuse

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Shame that this has to be said. Not sure what will happen with the police investigation

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/-club-statement-zero-tolerance-on-discrimination-and-racist-behaviour/

Andy Holloway

When does it become time to Name and Shame?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
When does it become time to Name and Shame?
Maybe after the police investigation.

Dannyred

Shame that this has to be said. Not sure what will happen with the police investigation

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/-club-statement-zero-tolerance-on-discrimination-and-racist-behaviour/
Correct call from the club as there is no place in society for racism,sexism or homophobia or the disgusting comments towards mr Tisdale.

Let’s be clear this is Not the first incident as a number of fans have let the club down this season with obscene chants.

It’s good the club have acted quickly on this now. Well done to the club & good riddance to the low life’s.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only thing that concerns me is the club have said the length of the ban will be determined by the outcome of the police investigation. Unless they mean that the police may find those accused not guilty otherwise it should be straight life bans, and not only from Exeter City but every other football club and ground in the country.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
One point I'd like to make: some people think that the public attention to a racist incident reflects badly on the club so we should try and play it down.

We should do exactly the opposite at all times. Those who suffer racism are never surprised when it occurs because they experience it directly or implicitly on a regular basis, so they are not likely to judge a football club's entire fanbase on one incident. What a football club will be judged upon is how they handle racism, and how normal fans react to it.

We need passionate vocal fans who get behind the team, and our younger fans are generally great in my opinion but when it comes to racist or homophobic abuse people need to know there's a clear line that is drawn.

jrg333

Exeter City takes a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of abuse, both at the ground and online
...except abuse of the referee, the travelling fans, opposition players and manager. And fat stewards. And anyone with ginger hair. And anyone who accidentally falls over. And 'dirty Northern bastards', etc, etc, etc.

This statement might as well have said, "There is a hierarchy of victims at ECFC and the following groups are fair game while these other groups are off limits." Which just about sums up the modern, principle-free, 'whatever-feels-good-at-the-time' approach to ethics. More PC nonsense...

Dannyred

...except abuse of the referee, the travelling fans, opposition players and manager. And fat stewards. And anyone with ginger hair. And anyone who accidentally falls over. And 'dirty Northern bastards', etc, etc, etc.

This statement might as well have said, "There is a hierarchy of victims at ECFC and the following groups are fair game while these other groups are off limits." Which just about sums up the modern, principle-free, 'whatever-feels-good-at-the-time' approach to ethics. More PC nonsense...
Very good post, this season has had far too many unsavoury moments at home and away games from a minority of so called fans but it’s had little comment from the club to cut it out.

I don’t want to hear of racism,homophobia or sexism at my club or unsavoury chants at the ref, players or opposing managers or the away clubs furry mascot who came under disturbing abuse.

The club need to make plans to stop it. Kick it out campaign

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
jrg333. I disagree for a variety of reasons, but will restrict myself to pointing out that the comments were written on social media. We will have to wait and see whether the police take the matter further, and if so, whether the comments are deemed to breach the CPS guidelines on prosecuting cases involving communications sent via social media. In the meantime our club has taken pragmatic action.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
People who have historically faced discrimination on a regular basis should be the priority. Of course racism is a more serious issue than abuse of refs or opposing players based on appearance in general. The Jimmy Hill argument that "its just like someone calling me chinny" because of his protruding chin only works if people with big chins are subject to discrimination in other parts of society. This idea that black people are over protected ignores the fact that for years they were not protected at all and I will never forget being in the Cowshed when we played Watford in 1979 (I think). It may as well have been a KKK rally every time Luther Blissett got the ball. I worked in nightclubs in Sheffield in the 80s playing hip hop and house music andI had to fight against discrimination against black clients during those times. Once I went to Brammall Lane with a black friend and he was subject to racist jokes by Sheff Utd fan despite going there every game. Racism used to be everywhere but to think it has gone is a misconception. Never let anything go and always challenge it if you care about this issue.