• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2019

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of extras (18) in that 61 after 18 overs Jason. What was the approx. breakdown of sundries ?
The straight boundaries were very short so anything past the keeper generally tended to go through - IIRC there was a 5 no-balls, a 5 wides and a 4 byes amongst the extras at that point.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The straight boundaries were very short so anything past the keeper generally tended to go through - IIRC there was a 5 no-balls, a 5 wides and a 4 byes amongst the extras at that point.
A nice boost for the partnership.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what has gone on with our 2s Skip, but he has thrown a wobbly, declared himself unavailable for Saturday and said he's chucking in the captaincy. Something around selection issues if I'm reading between the lines correctly - having to justify selections (or maybe non-selections) to people or something.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Duck and a dropped catch for me tonight. Chasing 149 from 20 overs we were 9-5 but somehow won with 4 balls to spare.

Mini Manc is in better form as her school team won the devon finals out at bovey tracey and will compete in the SW final at Bristol on the 9th July

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Captain's innings of 78 by King Matt at Whimple last Saturday, but Alphington still lost.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Kingstonian CC, true to form, were an absolute cheating rabble. They turned up late (then elected to field!), I had to explain to their umpire what a "2" guard is (before he later went off ill). That was just the start. I unfortunately decided to chip a full toss to cover when on 14, but my opening partner raced to 35 before being given out run out - a mix-up, a direct hit but he was well in, and their umpire gave it not out twice, before in the face of their players screaming in his face his finger went up. In his brief spell he also managed to not call wides on balls a long way down leg side, claiming there were "no legside wides as we weren't playing limited overs", and in the first 10 overs called 4 5-ball overs and one 7-ball over.

We collapsed to 75/5 but an unbeaten 70-odd from our now former skipper, G, aided by 30-odds from our 7 and 8 took us to 214.

Then the cheating REALLY began. After an early wicket, their 3 was trapped dead in front on not many, only to be given not out. He then said to one of our players "You won't get me out again". A legside wide which almost brushed the batsman's thigh was called wide at which point it was explained their "umpire" had failed to call one that went past me on the next strip down leg side. Anyway, guess what? Their 3 turned out to be their main decent bat, and towards the end brought up his ton. Funny that. About 3-4 other very blatant LBWs were also turned down, the one that was given (to show they were fair) was the least out of the lot but it was a black trainer type so he didn't matter. I took a catch.

When the winning runs were hit it all threatened to kick off, I had to explain patiently to their buffoon of a skipper why we were so miffed, and shook hands with two or three of their decent blokes, one of whom apologised to me for their behaviour.

Stelios

I had to explain to their umpire what a "2" guard is (before he later went off ill).
What is a 2" guard?

Sounds a bit grim. LBWs must be a nightmare to 'umpire'

Love the description of the 'black trainer type'. Can picture the player perfectly.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What is a 2" guard?

Sounds a bit grim. LBWs must be a nightmare to 'umpire'

Love the description of the 'black trainer type'. Can picture the player perfectly.
2 = Middle and leg. Our opener was a bit puzzled, as usually he's spot on with where he puts his bat, only for the umpire to keep telling him "away from you". When eventually the guard was "right", I questioned this, and he said "2 - middle". Er, no.

Their skipper, when I spoke to him after the match and said his umpire was incompetent, claimed the umpire said he'd misheard!

LBWs are hard to umpire as you have to judge where the ball pitched, any movement sideways (based also on the angle the ball was bowled at - if the bowler bowls from wide of the crease or close to the stumps), the height and whether there was any bat involved. However, when the ball pitches in front and hits the batsman halfway up his pad dead in front of middle stump, the job is usually much easier. I believe the umpire said it was "missing leg", to which we agreed it was, while it was also "missing off".

Stelios

I always assumed when a batsman holds two fingers up he was asking for middle stump. Glad I've never umpired :$

For LBWs I meant it's a nightmare having to deal with incompetent/crooked umpires as much as the difficulty in assessing what is out or not. It's the obvious plum in front of middle below the knee roll that must drive you mad.

Stelios

That should probably be plumb.