• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clear out?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Get the impression that Tom Parkes will be the main man in the centre of defence next season. Physicality and character is what MT kept saying and Parkes has that and more.
After a mauling like yesterday's, it's all too easy to start talking about physicality and character, thereby suggesting that those who started were lacking in both. I remember Matt said something not dissimilar at the end of last season and, yet, here we are.

As regards Parkes, while I have nothing whatsoever against him, I think it's overly simple to suggest he's the answer. For the record, we won 47 per cent of the games he started last season and lost 28 per cent, conversely, we won 55% of the games in which he wasn't involved and lost only 15 per cent.

Of course, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. However, we won one of the five games which Tom started between October 19 and November 9. He missed the next five games, of which we won four and drew one. He then returned to the side for two of the next three games – the only one we won was the one in which he didn't feature. FWIW, Parkes also started in our 2-0 loss at Northampton in February.

Make of this what you will, but I remain to be convinced our loss yesterday can simply be attributed to a lack of character and physicality.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
After a mauling like yesterday's, it's all too easy to start talking about physicality and character, thereby suggesting that those who started were lacking in both. I remember Matt said something not dissimilar at the end of last season and, yet, here we are.

As regards Parkes, while I have nothing whatsoever against him, I think it's overly simple to suggest he's the answer. For the record, we won 47 per cent of the games he started last season and lost 28 per cent, conversely, we won 55% of the games in which he wasn't involved and lost only 15 per cent.

Of course, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. However, we won one of the five games which Tom started between October 19 and November 9. He missed the next five games, of which we won four and drew one. He then returned to the side for two of the next three games – the only one we won was the one in which he didn't feature. FWIW, Parkes also started in our 2-0 loss at Northampton in February.

Make of this what you will, but I remain to be convinced our loss yesterday can simply be attributed to a lack of character and physicality.
Parkes was also badly at fault when completely misjudging the direction of the ball in a battle with the Northampton forward in the penalty area allowing the later to twist clear and score their opening goal with just over a minute played.

Ash

Parkes was also badly at fault when completely misjudging the direction of the ball in a battle with the Northampton forward in the penalty area allowing the later to twist clear and score their opening goal with just over a minute played.
That's because he's very average. If Parkes is our great hope at centre back next season, we're fooked.

Langer

Just a thought if Ajose had a near to career ending injury could he not go down the same route as Jonathan Forte did and cash in on his insurance.
That’s a bit drastic SB give him to the start of next season before getting the Mafia involved 😄

Pobbop

All of our decisions will be decided on finances, if the players are willing to take wage cuts or are cheap anyway, there's 10 times the chance they'll stay.

We are all in parlous financial positions in the lower Leagues, people talking like we will have carte blanche to go out and change things at will are quite frankly living in cloud-cuckoo land.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deano is a left back, not a centre back. He's not dominant enough to be a centre back nor particularly good in the air. But he doesn't have the pace to be a left back any longer. Although he has been a great servant, it's time for him and us to move on.

ryancooper327

What I don’t get is why no one will be resigned. We have to replace them for the same/slightly less and if they go elsewhere they’ll probably be on similar cash. Again, not sure on who is out of contract but if he is, I’d like to resign A Martin.

StudentGrecian

Have to say Parkes character is suspect. He went on a superb run of looking like a dominant League 2 CB, then made one mistake part way through the season, and then looked like he lost all confidence in his ability in the following games. I think he can be a decent League Two CB, but I hope we aren't relying on him to run the show at the back.

andrew p long

What I don’t get is why no one will be resigned. We have to replace them for the same/slightly less and if they go elsewhere they’ll probably be on similar cash. Again, not sure on who is out of contract but if he is, I’d like to resign A Martin.
my take on this is that LeagueTwo wages for new contracts will be lower, probably very significantly lower, than current wages. There are loads of players out of work and clubs have no income. As I have previously said out of contract players will fall into two main categories; those who cannot get a contract and those who get a new contract on less money.

Red Devon

The players that will be released will be the ones who are deemed not to be good enough just like in normal times maybe Fisher and Warren for example.