• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Classic Matches

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good shout DR It was a very good day 👍🏻

There hasn’t been many but most of the matches V Sheffield United have been pretty good - Was it the 3-1 home win in 1980 when Peter Hatch smashed in an unstoppable 30 yarder.
Yes,I remember that game.The Grecians were 2-0 up after 10 mins.
Alex Sabella who was in the Argentina ‘78 WC squad was playing for the Blades that afternoon.

Red Devon

Yes,I remember that game.The Grecians were 2-0 up after 10 mins.
Alex Sabella who was in the Argentina ‘78 WC squad was playing for the Blades that afternoon.
Can recall Sabella now you mention it
Also remember the Sheff Utd support there must have been close to 2000 rammed into the St J Road end that day.

Oldsmobile-88

Can recall Sabella now you mention it
Also remember the Sheff Utd support there must have been close to 2000 rammed into the St J Road end that day.
It was Sheffield Uniteds first season outside the top two divisions & hence their first visit to SJP.

They went down again the following season to the 4th Division.Steve Neville played for them around that time.

Alistair20000

I need ideas for orient. I’m thinking a mankini.
A fez is also a must Fred. Think Madness.

Avening Posse

This one is worthy of a place on classic thread

Newport County away 82/83

Last game of the season with the clock ticking down and other results going against us City desperately needed an equaliser to save our 3rd Division status....after a mad goalmouth scramble Peter Rogers scuffs in a dramatic late late leveller to send the away end into scenes of complete delirium and the job was done 😊😊
That was indeed a classic. My Dad drove with me and some pals from school (most of whom still go). I remember the late goal, the welsh pitch invasion at the end, and the decidedly interesting walk back to the car afterwards :p

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was indeed a classic. My Dad drove with me and some pals from school (most of whom still go). I remember the late goal, the welsh pitch invasion at the end, and the decidedly interesting walk back to the car afterwards :p
My picture was in the Echo celebrating this goal as Peter Rogers wheeled away

Oldsmobile-88

A series of games in what was a classic League Cup
campaign (which are non existent in the past 30 years) was the one in 1978.
It started off ordinary enough with 1-0 win in the 1st round 1st at Bournemouth & followed up with a 1-1 draw at SJP to go through on aggregate.

Next up 2nd Division Blackburn,dispatched 2-1 at home.

A 3rd round home draw with 1st Division Bolton next.
A wonderful cup tie with a 2-1 win against a pretty good team.

4th Round was at home to fellow Division 3 team Watford who had beaten MU at Old Trafford in the previous round & stolen the Grecians thunder on Sportsnight
Huge interest,Watford were on the up under Graham Taylor.
Easy to forget nowadays with foreign billionaires investing in football clubs left,right & centre,it was unusual a personality like Elton John being involved in a club & backing it financially.
Over 14,000 for the Wednesday night game at SJP(inc around 2,000 from Watford)Not bad for a couple of 3rd tier teams.
Sadly a 2-0 exit for the Grecians.It was a great run that lives in the memory.

Last edited:

iscalad

If I remember Luther Blisset played in that game.

Oldsmobile-88

If I remember Luther Blisset played in that game.
Yes he did.He was synonymous with Watfords rise from 4th to 1st Division & finishing runners up in the top division.

Red Devon

That was some side Watford had back then Ross Jenkins was like the Peter Crouch of the time.