• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Classic Matches

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another classic..Classic Exeter City for the wrong reasons was the embarrassing defeat at Darlington in the last game of 1991/92..A must win game against the bottom club to avoid possible relegation to Division 4.
Predictably got a good hiding.Other results went our way to avoid the drop.
I could not bring myself to celebrate on the pitch after that performance.
Great day out except from about 3.30pm to 4.45pm.

Did you go on the supporters coach(x2) that day RD..We stopped off in Harrogate on the way up for a couple of beers.
No I didn’t go to that game in 92 remember listening to it on the radio

Oldsmobile-88

The first win outside of the Football League since 1920 at Dover.Played Margate who ground shared at The Crabbe(love that name)

Won 1-0 thanks to a Barry McConnell penalty.

What I remember was no segregation,changing ends at HT & the general chilled atmosphere on that day.

The win that day seemed to herald a new era.

Rosencrantz

The first win outside of the Football League since 1920 at Dover.Played Margate who ground shared at The Crabbe(love that name)

Won 1-0 thanks to a Barry McConnell penalty.

What I remember was no segregation,changing ends at HT & the general chilled atmosphere on that day.

The win that day seemed to herald a new era.
What I remember was a great weekend in Canterbury and a trip to Dover Castle and one women behind the bar of an empty stream side pub getting a shock when a load of City fans turned up after the game. Also stopped at Portsmouth Historical Docks on the way home Sunday.

Oh yeah...and we won 👍

Red Devon

This one is worthy of a place on classic thread

Newport County away 82/83

Last game of the season with the clock ticking down and other results going against us City desperately needed an equaliser to save our 3rd Division status....after a mad goalmouth scramble Peter Rogers scuffs in a dramatic late late leveller to send the away end into scenes of complete delirium and the job was done 😊😊

Oldsmobile-88

This one is worthy of a place on classic thread

Newport County away 82/83

Last game of the season with the clock ticking down and other results going against us City desperately needed an equaliser to save our 3rd Division status....after a mad goalmouth scramble Peter Rogers scuffs in a dramatic late late leveller to send the away end into scenes of complete delirium and the job was done 😊😊
Kicked off at 3.15pm as was the norm for many games at Newport back then.That would not be allowed now.
Reading whose game kicked off a 3pm thought they were safe.

Red Devon

Kicked off at 3.15pm as was the norm for many games at Newport back then.That would not be allowed now.
Reading whose game kicked off a 3pm thought they were safe.
Was it Reading who went instead?

Red Devon

Newport had a very good team back then round about the time they played in the Cup winners Cup in Europe

Oldsmobile-88

What I remember was a great weekend in Canterbury and a trip to Dover Castle and one women behind the bar of an empty stream side pub getting a shock when a load of City fans turned up after the game. Also stopped at Portsmouth Historical Docks on the way home Sunday.

Oh yeah...and we won 👍
Another great day out that season was the 1st ever visit to Morecambe(for the majority of fans too I expect)
One coach arrived at 0900(Darkies Stag Coach) 😁
We got there about 1200 & headed to the York Hotel,you could not move for Grecians in there.

The game was a 3-0 win..No Devine or Flack in the line up,things did not look promising at 3.00pm.
Little Les & Sean Canham stepped up to the plate to round off the day.

Oldsmobile-88

Was it Reading who went instead?
Yes..Their fans were on the Elm Park pitch celebrating forgetting that the game at Newport kicked off at 3.15pm

Oldsmobile-88

Newport had a very good team back then round about the time they played in the Cup winners Cup in Europe
Yes,they were very close to promotion to the 2nd Division around that time.