• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Scarborough - 26 November 1994

Andy_H

The Arena site would have been an interesting one in terms of development. Without looking beyond the plot of land itself, it has a huge amount of possibility with it's size and natural landscape but it's accessibility, having spent many a summer Saturday or Sunday there, would have been and still is horrendous.
And to think that they held the Devon County Show there for many years up to 1990 when they moved to Westpoint, talk about 'chalk & cheese'.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Arena site would have been an interesting one in terms of development. Without looking beyond the plot of land itself, it has a huge amount of possibility with it's size and natural landscape but it's accessability, having spent many a summer Saturday or Sunday there, would have been and still is horrendous.
Plenty of parking though, even though getting out of there onto Summer Lane at 5 o'clock would have been horrendous.
Always thought they could have made that into a sports hub, put the swimming pool there instead of St Sidwells Point, but thats for another discussion

ChrisWickens

Great to see the old Cow Shed again, complete with the primrose[less] bank and the old BB.
Up here in Cheltenham our primroses (not related to the Cowshed!) have flourished over the years. I was telling my wife about those in Exeter and she doubted my sanity!!

Colesman Ballz

Up here in Cheltenham our primroses (not related to the Cowshed!) have flourished over the years. I was telling my wife about those in Exeter and she doubted my sanity!!
For Christ's sake don't mention Dido and Dick Pym's parrot or she really will think that you are "barking" ! :p

Rosencrantz

Plenty of parking though, even though getting out of there onto Summer Lane at 5 o'clock would have been horrendous.
Always thought they could have made that into a sports hub, put the swimming pool there instead of St Sidwells Point, but thats for another discussion
That was always the problem, the only way in and out is by Summer Lane. They would have needed to develop into Eastern Fields and build a new, wider bridge over the railway line to open up access into Exhibition Way and out for it to really work.

Andy_H

A lot of the original Cow Shed Primroses are still at SJP, but now blooming in the Memorial Garden.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was Andy Woodman at City all over for you, just a car crash waiting to happen.
And yet he's one of the one of the few young City players of that era to go on and have a successful career in the league. It's also not completely impossible he could be a future City manager.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pity there is no sound as it would have been very memorable to hear the man who ran the tea hut blowing his 'trumpet', or whatever it was he made the noise with!
Wasn't it the hose from some sort of fire extinguiser?

malcolms

And yet he's one of the one of the few young City players of that era to go on and have a successful career in the league. It's also not completely impossible he could be a future City manager.
He hated it at Exeter and couldn't wait to get back to Croydon as soon as the game was finished...Might visit as Bromley's manager one day....

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some great goals in that game. I don't remember it but may well have been there. So glad we didn't move to Exeter Arena. I hate football grounds with a running track around them.