• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Colchester (Tuesday) build up thread.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there any possibility Dyer could fill-in at right back and allow Sweeney to stay in the centre?
You would then be playing an inexperienced centre back out of position instead of playing a player with a lot of experience at right back. Archie and Jake have more experience of right back than Jordan. I think a back three is more likely.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You would then be playing an inexperienced centre back out of position instead of playing a player with a lot of experience at right back. Archie and Jake have more experience of right back than Jordan. I think a back three is more likely.
Fair enough. I haven't been following Jordan's career that closely and was wondering if he'd played there at all while out on loan. And while the thought of playing a centre-half at full back might seem strange Dara O'Shea seems to have made a similar transition successfully. I too think a back three is likely but that effectively means no place for Joel Randall who has been one of our best players this season.

Red red

IMO Hartridge to start. Push Sparkes forward. I can’t see how he can keep playing Bowman would start Ajose . And yes No Randell he again imo was poor Saturday needs a rest

Red Devon

Looking like a decent evening weather wise come on Bowman

IndoMike

With Caprice joining the hamstring club we could do with Parkes and Key returning, at least one of them anyway.

Big thing though is we're inadequate up front (ooh err missus) and Taylor needs to stiffen things up. Expect a rare start for Ajose.
Think you need another " ooo er missus" after the Taylor comment...
Tough game today - another defeat would leave us a bit flat.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think you need another " ooo er missus" after the Taylor comment...
Tough game today - another defeat would leave us a bit flat.
Yeah I was having a Finbarr Saunders moment.

Corey

Would like to see:

(GK) Iceman
(CB) Sweeney
(CB) McArdle
(CB) Hartridge
(RWB) Williams
(CM) Law
(CM) Collins
(CM) Jay
(LWB) Sparkes
(ST) Bowman
(ST) Ajose

But could see Randall coming in for Ajose and playing centrally and/or Jake Taylor coming in for Law Collins or Jay. Could also see the same lineup but in a 4-2-3-1 setup.

ECFC89

I would say swapping Ajose for Bowman completely changes the way we play up the pitch. We don't often look to take a goal kick short. We tend to pump a big ball to Bowman. We also tend to do the same if McArdle is on the ball. It seems often our players are told to look for Bowman. Don't get me wrong we play some lovely stuff when we can break through that first line of defence. Some of it was evident on Saturday, where if anything we overplayed. Don't really think Ajose is a man up top on his own kind of striker either. But we shall see.

I'm praying Ajose does score and goes on a streak because then I can stop banging on about how average he has been and how odd it is that fans clamour for a start for him based on, from what I can see, nothing. Understand the 'not a lot of games together argument', but hey ho always feel there has been an odd Ajose love in for no particular reason.

CWH-NYC_

Going to be a tough old Tuesday night to get 3 points, that is for sure. Need a touch of luck and Colchester misfiring.

Ash

I would say swapping Ajose for Bowman completely changes the way we play up the pitch. We don't often look to take a goal kick short. We tend to pump a big ball to Bowman. We also tend to do the same if McArdle is on the ball. It seems often our players are told to look for Bowman. Don't get me wrong we play some lovely stuff when we can break through that first line of defence. Some of it was evident on Saturday, where if anything we overplayed. Don't really think Ajose is a man up top on his own kind of striker either. But we shall see.

I'm praying Ajose does score and goes on a streak because then I can stop banging on about how average he has been and how odd it is that fans clamour for a start for him based on, from what I can see, nothing. Understand the 'not a lot of games together argument', but hey ho always feel there has been an odd Ajose love in for no particular reason.
Who's been having an Ajose love-in? I bloody wish he had been average, surely that would have meant about 10 goals a season!
I think it's more desperation due to our misfiring main man. Whoever gets the nod needs to really contribute tonight, preferably with goals!