• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt our budget was in the top six of L2 last season either, but we still managed to attract Nombe nonetheless. There’s nothing to suggest we couldn’t do the same this time round. Your pessimism is no more warranted than my suggestion that it could happen.

To indulge you in some data to back up my irritating opinion, over the previous 9 seasons we've only managed to bring in one player who's scored more league goals than Nombe has this season (Stockley), and that's all been at League 2 level.

My 'pessimism' about the chances of it happening in the summer feels more like realism, based on recent history. I'd be delighted to be wrong - we'll know either way in 13 months time.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
As an aside, I couldnt help but notice that a signicant number of very excited Argyle fans surged forward in the corner when their goal went in! Were all those people segregated from the general population of the Big Bank?

They were City fans who had been giving the Argyle corner -taker some stick.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt our budget was in the top six of L2 last season either, but we still managed to attract Nombe nonetheless. There’s nothing to suggest we couldn’t do the same this time round. Your pessimism is no more warranted than my suggestion that it could happen.
To indulge you in some data to back up my irritating opinion, over the previous 9 seasons we've only managed to bring in one player who's scored more league goals than Nombe has this season (Stockley), and that's all been at League 2 level.

My 'pessimism' about the chances of it happening in the summer feels more like realism, based on recent history. I'd be delighted to be wrong - we'll know either way in 13 months time.
Taking it back 20 seasons gives us 3 signings who've scored more league goals than Nombe in a season (Stockley, Cureton & Logan).

Signing a 16+ goal striker is a rare event for us, so forgive my realism for next season.

Last edited:

Alfie 1966

Sat next to someone in the Real Ale bar who just pulled out a Ginsters pasty! He's a City fan 😮 Apparently a friend of @iscalad
We had one of those ambassador chaps on our coach to Peterborough Monday and yes on the M5 he pulls out a Ginsters pasty me sat next to him,That has put paid to a City result today

Agent Andy

Sam Stubbs , played every minute since he left us , replaced by Aimson who was then given the arm band off sweenz . Apparently Stubbs was fit but not picked before he left us . Perhaps Gary’s got someone lined up to replace Nombe in the same way this summer . My point is every manager will want to bring their own people into the club .

Reactions: DB9

Grecian Max

As an aside, I couldnt help but notice that a signicant number of very excited Argyle fans surged forward in the corner when their goal went in! Were all those people segregated from the general population of the Big Bank?
They weren’t Argyle fans

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

Grecian Max

Both Stockley and Nombe cost around £100k, board wlll need to dig deep. Hopefully selling Nombe for a good fee can help with that.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both Stockley and Nombe cost around £100k, board wlll need to dig deep. Hopefully selling Nombe for a good fee can help with that.
When's Nombe's contract up?