• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City pictures

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I always like looking at the demographic of spectators at games from games 30-40 years ago & how much they have changed in the past 15-20 years.
That picture & one from 10 years earlier(of the SJ Rd end,which is in Red Square)show a 95% male attendance & no evidence of family groups,something that was probably mirrored all over the Football League until things started to change from 1990 on.
It would be interesting to see the demographic of a crowd at SJP in recent times.
I would suggest that the Male/Female balance is now something like 70/30 ?
Certainly didn't have too many other female City fans at the game in the eighties to go with my Mum and Gran. Also I would say there are a lot more kids in attendance these days compared to the eighties as well. Not surprising given the hooligan element from those days although I always thought games at the Park were pretty well insulated from that apart from some usual suspects.

haka

So ... the photo was from City 3 Oxford United 1, Division 3 (original version), March 12 1983. Attendance: 2,957. It was a poor season overall, Brian Godfrey's last as manager, we just avoided relegation.

I think the players have all been identified but now I've mislaid my old Rothman's. :unsure:

It's taken from here, I'll add a couple more shortly:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=129056335

haka

Compare and contrast, travelling fans across the generations ...

1) Oxford in the away end, 1983 (third tier ... ):

2) Oxford in the away end, 2007 (fifth tier ... play-offs):

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1248346

Oldsmobile-88

Certainly didn't have too many other female City fans at the game in the eighties to go with my Mum and Gran. Also I would say there are a lot more kids in attendance these days compared to the eighties as well. Not surprising given the hooligan element from those days although I always thought games at the Park were pretty well insulated from that apart from some usual suspects.
The whole match day experience is better now.Decent ground,facilities etc.Also the positive portrayal in the media for football that encourages fans to buy into the clubs.

It’s pleasing to see so many young fans(under 14) with their parents at SJP,it’s something the club deserve a lot of credit for with the various initiatives & the family centre under the IP Stand

Grecian 1901

A City picture BD20E143-20C0-4105-8F4D-A337F4BA51AE.jpeg

Grecian 1901

A few more from the archive05AECFF2-4E99-47BC-BEA4-59386D7CE4B2.jpegEB01EAD1-ED50-484C-B28E-0DBF3B2A9275.jpeg5EFF6062-77CF-47AF-B318-EF9F291A41B9.jpegBB29F896-59ED-47DA-AA43-EF36ADEC333D.jpeg

Athelstan

A couple of photos from our memorable 3-1 win against Charlton Athletic at the Valley ten years ago (as mentioned in the 'on this day' thread). That's an awful lot of soon-to-be-disappointed Addicks!

328F633F-9139-493B-9819-163B41AF7E0F.jpeg09C88DA0-1120-4701-8440-5E177956D9D0.jpeg

DB9

Something really nice about seeing those old action pics, presumably from the local rag but there is something about them that makes you feel you're actualy there and there is an "innocene" about them, Maybe because they were using old style film and out of a whole reel they got one decent shot, Nowadays with digital might make it easier.

Spoonz Red E

Something really nice about seeing those old action pics, presumably from the local rag but there is something about them that makes you feel you're actualy there and there is an "innocene" about them, Maybe because they were using old style film and out of a whole reel they got one decent shot, Nowadays with digital might make it easier.
Agreed.
The top one manages to pack three players, the ref, a ball boy and crowd all in a tight shot each with their different involvement in the move.
Could have been shot with the old style optical telephoto lens giving that 'shortening' effect mentioned earlier in the thread.
Great shot.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Agreed.
The top one manages to pack three players, the ref, a ball boy and crowd all in a tight shot each with their different involvement in the move.
Could have been shot with the old style optical telephoto lens giving that 'shortening' effect mentioned earlier in the thread.
Great shot.
The ref waving play on from a foul/grab by the player and everyone's eyes seems to be focused on the game, One thing, The days before mobiles too, No one with a phone or looking at one!