• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City pictures

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Cheers SB. I'm the guy at the back in the middle of the picture wearing a white shirt and looking at his phone.

Actually I can't see me, but people seem to be able to capture me when I'm looking at my phone. :rolleyes:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
SB- Before my time but have often seen his name mentioned...what City keeper in the modern era 80s onwards would you compare him to?
SB sorry to be so late in replying. George played in the days when keepers generally were of slighter build. Looking through the City Record BooK and remembering from the days when I first started to watch the team play in the late 1940s apart from Hugh Kelly, who was almost as wide as he was tall, all our keepers were a similar build.

It probably did not change until the mid 1980s when we had the likes of John Shaw between the sticks and from then on it seemed that keepers were of a chunkier build. So in answer to your question, because probably as more than any other position in the team the position of goal keeper and the skills he is required to have has evolved over the years, it is very difficult to try to make comparisons.

We have had a number of good keepers and they each have had different qualities but for me George Hunter was the bravest and most agile keeper I have ever seen playing for ECFC.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t think I have seen this squad picture before.
0F2CACE8-79F1-49F0-8F1B-2B5829ADF92E.jpeg

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t think I have seen this squad picture before.
View attachment 2126
Me neither.....it looks as if it was taken in late 1960s. Many of them were in the team that lined up against Man Utd when we played them in a third round FA Cup tie at SJP 4th January 1969.

Unlikely to be 1970s as Fred Binney joined us midway through the same season and he is not in the photo. According to the City Bible he made his first appearance only a few games after that tie. Interesting to think what the result might have been had he played against United.