• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City and Chiefs same owner.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
You can believe in all the community stuff, "owning" our club but still be aware of the stark financial realities of being a pro club, even more so in the Covid situation.

Personally I've always been happy for us to move onto a model which has supporter representation but not a majority shareholder. We almost went to the wall again a few years ago because we hadn't unearthed a gem in the academy for a while and Tisdale's football had resulted in the crowds bottoming out. Luckily Matt Grimes saved us from a doomsday scenario, but we can't rely on the academy to pull it out of the bag everytime. Genuine question - the academy, could that in itself be owned by the supporters? With the club as a separate entity?

Grecian Max

Worth noting, also, that supporter ownership happened as a last gasp necessity not because of an underlying political persuasion of the people of Exeter. We aren't and shouldn't be tied into a democratically tied model just because we had our hands burnt almost 2 decades ago.

Colesman Ballz

Mr Rowe was completely against any cooperation with the football club when the Rugby club was looking to leave the County ground. I'm not personally wedded to any particular ownership structure as long as its in the interest of developing the football club. There is no 'doctrine' that holds all the answers and I believe those who think there is, are only a projection of the way they view the world.
Not quite Malcs, There was one notable exception to that stance. When it looked like the Chiefs might be homeless whilst Sandy Park was being built, he briefly became very interested in becoming our "tenant" during that process. No doubt that "that stuck in his throat" somewhat but we were the "only game in town" ! 😎

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

DB9

It's an interesting debate though. Clearly a lot of fans support ECFC the club and will do so regardless. Some fans support the club but the ownership model is very important to them, perhaps even over the club as an individual entity. I've always maintained that I want to feel part of the club and that I am respected, appreciated and acknowledged as a supporter rather than just treated as some faceless person there to give the club money relentlessly week in week out without any gratitude or recognition.

Supporting a club week in week out and feeling that the owners are not only laughing at you but also taking you for granted whilst they play puppet master with your club and emotions whilst you have absolutely zero say on the matter is not what a fan should be subjected to. Especially at lower levels when their financial outlay in terms of what they spend on the club is massively important to clubs and their income.
Gawd we're really going off topic :LOL: All fans support the club, Not the ownership model so whoever is in charge people will go through the turnstiles no matter, Its what we do, Managers and players come and go but we the fans are still here. You can't really say owners are "Play Puppet Masters" but if they own the club and put their own money in then they do have the right to run a club the way they see fit. I do think at the lower end of the league clubs do appreciate their fans and engage them more because they know getting people into grounds is so important and unlike the higher leagues they cant rely on TV money because its so little. Ive been to PL games and there you are just a "Customer" that is how i felt but the away games with City the clubs are always inviting and helpful.

lamrobhero

Clearly a post-2003 supporter.....
I supported City in the late 1960s and 1970s and also football in general, then I became disillusioned and abandoned football until returning to ECFC in 2017

Ash

Interesting to hear Wigan MP Lisa Nandy saying today that the owner of Wigan Warriors Rugby League club is the favourite to take up the reigns at Wigan Athletic...with Tony Rowe enjoying an hugely successful twenty years in charge of the Chiefs it really wouldn’t be to difficult to see him maybe take City to the Championship while significantly improving the infrastructure of the club at the same time...what would exwebers think of similar thing happening at SJP?

Only interested in opinions and not to be seen as my view.
He doesn't have the money to take us to the Championship I'm afraid, this is football, not rugby. Plus he has never shown the slightest interest in trying.

i8cornwall

“Play Puppet Masters"
In fairness to Lego if trust members where called this I’d rejoin, that’s a great title!

Actually If anyone from the trust is reading this and can make that happen at least just for me please do get in touch!

Dannyred

Not quite Malcs, There was one notable exception to that stance. When it looked like the Chiefs might be homeless whilst Sandy Park was being built, he briefly became very interested in becoming our "tenant" during that process. No doubt that "that stuck in his throat" somewhat but we were the "only game in town" ! 😎
Exeter Chiefs are a really successful team and a big sporting brand now,Mr Rowe and his team have built something very special and Continue to improve, total respect.

City have always been a little club in the lower league, Nothing will ever change unless we find a new type owner like Rowe. We have had some incompetent people involved in the club over the years and it needs changing.

malcolms

Exeter Chiefs are a really successful team and a big sporting brand now,Mr Rowe and his team have built something very special and Continue to improve, total respect.

City have always been a little club in the lower league, Nothing will ever change unless we find a new type owner like Rowe. We have had some incompetent people involved in the club over the years and it needs changing.
No one could or should deny the first part of your post, but I'm not sure we should be doling out 'respect' to a man who struggles to behave in a respectful way to other people...

StudentGrecian

The main problem is finding someone who is willing to invest money, even if success doesn't come instantly. Mansfield and FGR, show you its tough to get out of this league even with significant investment. The EFL also continues to allow asset strippers to buy clubs, so some real homework would have to be done, not that we have many assets.

Ideally you want someone who supports supports the club, but how many millionaire fans do we have? I think it's unrealistic to find the type of owner the trust would be looking for, and I also wouldn't be willing to gamble on an 'unknown entity', it may bring success, but it may be the end of our club. The trust have to be cautious and they are right to be so.