• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City and Chiefs same owner.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still had at least four seasons of success to get into the old 1st Division, We are talking though nearly 50 years back, We've moved on then, Like i8 says it has no relevance to him, He was only 10? When the Trust took over so there is a whole generation who don't know anything else and see clubs pass us by as they improve.
To be fair I8's generation has seen us move by more clubs on the way up (upper mid table conference to upper mid table L1) than the consequent slide back down and slight up again (from mid table to playoffs). We are a net one division better off than when the trust took over. Everyone would like to get promoted again. 24 other clubs supporters in any division in the EFL also feel the same at the start of every season.

DB9

To be fair I8's generation has seen us move by more clubs on the way up (upper mid table conference to upper mid table L1) than the consequent slide back down and slight up again (from mid table to playoffs). We are a net one division better off than when the trust took over. Everyone would like to get promoted again. 24 other clubs supporters in any division in the EFL also feel the same at the start of every season.
I totally understand that Rosey, TBH I don't care about the other 23 clubs.

Rosencrantz

I totally understand that Rosey, TBH I don't care about the other 23 clubs.
That's alright because they don't care about us. But we, like everyone else, dust ourselves off and look to have another good go next season. That's universal in the life of a football fan as we all know.

Boyo

Portsmouth where in the premiership a few years back, ran poorly.

Then got a taken over by a fans trust and that couldn’t sustain it in league one or take it to the next level so found a private owner.

Which memory lane shall we wonder down next, tranmere, Bristol Rovers, Lincoln maybe?
How about York, Stockport, Halifax, Torquay and Chester?

i8cornwall

Is actually true and i do feel old when I think back to playing Farnborough in the conference but my point is that actually most people my age (with regards to a very small number as someone posted on here) only turn up for the football and base the club on that alone and for a greater extent that’s the “category” I now find myself in for a number of reasons.

Without trying to be offensive to anyone and trying to sound full of myself or my generation but we are the ones in 10,15, 20 years who will need to be running the club in what ever way the trust is involved with the club then. if people drift away because of lack of success on the pitch then that is going to effect the trust and club in a negative way.

Like I’ve said it is what it is, I’m not that bothered as I’m of the train of thought nothing will change at city so pointless wasting my energy trying to change it or talking about it now and probably be my last post on the subject now.

With regards to the other 24 clubs I’ve an interest in 2 in L2 this season, hopefully it’s only one season mind!

Grecian2K

You could have also added Rushden & Diamonds there .... although that might really have being putting the Doc Marten into the argument pro the "muficent benefactor"

Rosencrantz

Is actually true and i do feel old when I think back to playing Farnborough in the conference but my point is that actually most people my age (with regards to a very small number as someone posted on here) only turn up for the football and base the club on that alone and for a greater extent that’s the “category” I now find myself in for a number of reasons.

Without trying to be offensive to anyone and trying to sound full of myself or my generation but we are the ones in 10,15, 20 years who will need to be running the club in what ever way the trust is involved with the club then. if people drift away because of lack of success on the pitch then that is going to effect the trust and club in a negative way.

Like I’ve said it is what it is, I’m not that bothered as I’m of the train of thought nothing will change at city so pointless wasting my energy trying to change it or talking about it now and probably be my last post on the subject now.

With regards to the other 24 clubs I’ve an interest in 2 in L2 this season, hopefully it’s only one season mind!
In trying to match you in the no offence stakes, people of your age are much like the people of the same age 10, 20, 30 etc years ago. Nothing has really changed. Some of your generation will slip away as has always happened. From a fraction of those who don't will end up the ones running the club, as it is now.

grecianstew

Not to mention Wrexham, Hereford, Chesterfield, Halifax, Darlington, Notts County and I’m sure many more I have forgotten. People like to make negative comparisons with less than a handful of successful small clubs. Looking elsewhere for comparison could lead to a very different conclusion.

i8cornwall

In trying to match you in the no offence stakes, people of your age are much like the people of the same age 10, 20, 30 etc years ago. Nothing has really changed. Some of your generation will slip away as has always happened. From a fraction of those who don't will end up the ones running the club, as it is now.
In no way have I taken offence there as it’s true, the only thing I’d add and it’s not picking fault with you or anyone who does help the club but if they are all of the same mindset then sadly this is probably the best we can hope for from the club.

Anyway who knows maybe I will be one of them helping to run the club or involved again, 10 to 20 years is a long time and things might change by then but as it stands at this moment in time I’m so disillusioned with the club that I can’t see it.

Boyo

Under Trust ownership we have had back to back promotions, 5 visits to Wembley and drawn against both Liverpool and Man Utd. We also achieved our highest ever league position, and we consistently finish in the top half of the table. That’s arguably the best spell in the history of the Club.

That said football has become more commercial and money oriented. It feels the Trust can only take us so far. Our current model relies on us to sell players regularly to sustain a competitive L2 budget. I have no idea what the plan is should we finally get promoted, to enable us to compete at that level. Whereas I would certainly want to keep many of the aspects of Trust ownership, particularly relating to community involvement, I would not be adverse to the Trust seeking additional financial input into the Club. Quite what that entails I have no idea, but I suspect it’s unlikely the Trust would find someone willing to throw money in and not have the final say in key decisions. People on this thread talk about “investors“. However investors by definition are people trying to generate profit on their money. That’s not always asset stripping, as profit can be generated by football success -Wycombe have just doubled their income by being promoted to the Championship. Football is strange in that when investors want to withdraw, usually when things are going wrong, there’s an expectation that they should get their money back. And that’s when the problems usually start.

For me their are two options. Trust ownership, is low risk and sustainable, but the levels of success will be limited. An investment route is very risky, with a devastating worst case, but the potential rewards are wonderful.

For every Bournemouth there’s a Bury, Halifax and York.

Last edited: