• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs on the brink?!

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get ****** up, stumble a few yards to bed?
Get ****** up where though? In the hotel bar? May as well stay at home!

denzel

A 4 star hotel apparently!
Exactly. Surely much better to stay at Leonardo, or Rougemont, or whatever the Eye Infirmary is called these days. Much closer to the action.

There can be little doubt that the Chiefs are a recent invention. New name, new ground, new business model, new branding, new fanbase, etc.
Are they an Exeter team? Yes, of course. They are based in the city. But that doesn't mean I am proud that they are a part of where I live.
The Chiefs and top tier rugby represent so much of what I don't like in professional sport today - the concentration of power and money, its smothering affect on competition, etc.
It's the same reason I don't have much interest or take any pride in football's Premier League. If City were ever to get to the top tier under our present ownership model I'd be immensely proud (and not a little smug). If it meant selling our club to the highest bidder to get there, I think I'd probably feel differently. Come back to me when it happens.
I agree re the sport and it’s money/power/protectionism although I don’t think that’s much different than football with the parachute payments system.

Nick Hawker explained that parachute payments inflate wages all the way down though the leagues.

My point being, the top echelons of both football and rugby influence (not in a good way) those not in the top club.

I do think there’s a real possibility of Chiefs running into some serious trouble.

The professional game has gone too far too soon. The loss of three clubs last year has coincided with a reduction in financial support for the next level down. Hard to see an improved TV deal being offered given the league is now smaller.

Looks like the stadium expansion was a mistake they may regret for a long time.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the conferencing facilities. When they have corporate dos. Or after the rugger.

tom_ecfc

4 pack of white lightening and head to the M5 bridge to **** on the Argyle fans returning from yet another away day loss! 🤣

Boyo

Exactly. Surely much better to stay at Leonardo, or Rougemont, or whatever the Eye Infirmary is called these days. Much closer to the action.
You're looking at it from a "leisure" perspective. I suspect the target audience for the SP hotel is "business", especially when there are quality conferencing facilities a few hundred yards away.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This thread really belongs on a different part of the forums, but anyway

DB9

This thread really belongs on a different part of the forums, but anyway

You need to use your renowned "Tidying Up" skills Hants. 🙂

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You need to use your renowned "Tidying Up" skills Hants. 🙂
Not when I'm on my phone. That way lies chaos 😄

tavyred

A lot of hubristic chat at the beginning of the season on here including by myself about the Chiefs.
Yet in a few short weeks we see the difference in our City’s two biggest sporting clubs, we haven’t won in three months with crowds dropping and a hapless club Board floundering and the Chiefs after a forced near complete team rebuild are flying domestically and at European level and yesterday after a big financial punt in increasing the capacity of SP they posted their biggest ever crowd of 15K.
Are we perhaps seeing the result at City of the well intentioned amateur and risk adverse mindset holding us back? 🤷‍♂️