• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs on the brink?!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've not heard anything to suggest the conferencing side of things isn't going well...
I'm making the assumption that, because there are more home workers, businesses are less inclined to use the facilities for meetings.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the rugby club were to go into administration then I'm not sure Tony Rowe would have much of a say. I assume the administrators would be charged with getting the best price they can for the stadium, which, all said and done, might mean selling it to developers to knock down and build several hundred houses on.
Planning law could prevent that happening. Think it is called Section 17. It was originally brought in to stop school playing fields being sold off, but applies to sporting facilities generally. Basically unless equal or better replacement facilities are provided, with equal or better public access, then Planning Consent can not be given. When ECC were desperate to fund the completion of St Sidwells Point, they proposed selling off a number of sites for development, but found they couldn't do it. They could justify losing the Clifton Hill Sports Centre with StSP as an adequate replacement, but other ideas such as to replace the dry ski slope with an Indoor virtual one at Exhibition Fields didn't "cut the mustard". In fact Sandy Park might never have been built either, until Sport England SW withdrew their objections to the losing the Speedway facility from the County Ground. Had they not done this, granting planning consent for housing at the CG could not have happened, and of course the sale of the CG provided a massive part of the financing for Sandy Park.

I'm making the assumption that, because there are more home workers, businesses are less inclined to use the facilities for meetings.
Winslade Manor must have taken some of the Sandy Park custom. Better food and plenty of free parking.

Red & White

Am I right In thinking that one of the Chiefs main income streams was all the corporate hospitality they could offer at SP? Has Covid reduced the demand on non-matchdays?
The accounts for the year ended 30 June 2022 (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03320422/filing-history) show that 'Sandy Park income' which is presumably the corporate events side of things was £1,452,469, this compares with the year ended 30 June 2019 (pre-covid) of £1,781,728.

Interestingly the number of players and team management at 30 June 2022 averaged 148 staff!

DawlishBouy

The accounts for the year ended 30 June 2022 (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03320422/filing-history) show that 'Sandy Park income' which is presumably the corporate events side of things was £1,452,469, this compares with the year ended 30 June 2019 (pre-covid) of £1,781,728.

Interestingly the number of players and team management at 30 June 2022 averaged 148 staff!
Just been on the chiefs’ website. It shows they have 81 male players, 48 female players and 55 people involved in managing, coaching and fitness.

denzel

I've not heard anything to suggest the conferencing side of things isn't going well, but I do wonder if the hotel has been quite the cash cow that was envisaged.
Interesting that the club sold a significant part of its investment in the hotel to Tony Rowe to aid cash flow; also interesting that, as of June of 2021, the club had borrowings of £28.1m.
Went to a Conference there last month, place was heaving. Had to overspill into the hotel car park.
I'm not convinced on the hotel though, surely people want to stay in Exeter itself, whats the attraction of a medium range hotel next to the M5 (on a non match day, which is most of the time).

denzel

Rather that people are working at home most of the time, so are desperate to get out and see people rather than watch on another bloody Teams meeting..

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Went to a Conference there last month, place was heaving. Had to overspill into the hotel car park.
I'm not convinced on the hotel though, surely people want to stay in Exeter itself, whats the attraction of a medium range hotel next to the M5 (on a non match day, which is most of the time).
Get ****** up, stumble a few yards to bed?

tom_ecfc

whats the attraction of a medium range hotel next to the M5 (on a non match day, which is most of the time).
A 4 star hotel apparently!

I think it’s unfair to state the Exeter Chiefs are a recent invention, the game itself elevated fairly recently (1995) to professional status. Are you saying Exeter Rugby Club being ambitious and reaching the top of the game in England now disqualifies it from being considered an Exeter Team?

On that basis if City moved to a new purpose built stadium and got to the Premier League I assume you’d disown them!
There can be little doubt that the Chiefs are a recent invention. New name, new ground, new business model, new branding, new fanbase, etc.
Are they an Exeter team? Yes, of course. They are based in the city. But that doesn't mean I am proud that they are a part of where I live.
The Chiefs and top tier rugby represent so much of what I don't like in professional sport today - the concentration of power and money, its smothering affect on competition, etc.
It's the same reason I don't have much interest or take any pride in football's Premier League. If City were ever to get to the top tier under our present ownership model I'd be immensely proud (and not a little smug). If it meant selling our club to the highest bidder to get there, I think I'd probably feel differently. Come back to me when it happens.