• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs name change?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dogs Trust likely to complain about the name Greyhound on here
I always have been a controversial figure.

Boyo

I don’t see it as a fuss over nothing at all. Indigenous groups have been persecuted for years and predominantly white settlers have been allowed to get away with it, in that the atrocities they committed just aren’t sufficiently talked about.

These indigenous groups have also frequently stated that they find the use of their names / culture by white people is offensive, but it hasn’t stopped.

The fact it’s now stopping because some people are saying ‘enough is enough, now is the time to show respect to these people’ is a good thing in my book.

Maybe they should change their name to the Exeter Abbos and have an Aborigine warrior on their club crest?
Well said Fred. The protest wasn't even about the name it was solely about the imagery. This decision is essentially two fingers up to over 6m Native Americans who are offended by what the rugby club is doing.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I think it’s a lot of fuss over nothing with people feeling the need to feel offended on behalf of others. I doubt any actual native Americans have even heard of Exeter Chiefs much less been harmed (as the stupid woman from Chiefs for Change is suggesting) or offended
I believe you to be right Mr M. I recently saw a TV interview between two Native Americans with opposing views of the use of such imagery. While one was against such usage the other (an Apache) was quite relaxed about it. The interviewer then when on to say that in a recent survey carried out involving only Native Americans, 90% said it caused them no offence whatsoever. It's interesting to note that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci who in his will dated April 1511, left most of his modest estate, including "five household slaves" to his wife. Perhaps the few disgruntled should look for statues to vandalise rather than worry about badges on shirts and helmets.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
An interesting view from an actual Native American which whilst focusing on Washington also mentions the iconography. It's not as simple as a random poll makes out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/washington-redskins-name-controversy-native-americans-racism-white-people-a9058881.html?amp

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
An interesting view from an actual Native American which whilst focusing on Washington also mentions the iconography. It's not as simple as a random poll makes out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/washington-redskins-name-controversy-native-americans-racism-white-people-a9058881.html?amp
Reading your link I can understand how the author was upset and would like things to change. However, Washington DC isn't Exeter, E Devon. I've made no secret that I regularly attend Chief's games both home and away along with my rugby-mad son and at least six of his Swindon workmates who have become ardent Chiefs fans and who spend good money on beer, restaurants and long weekends at either the Southgate or Rougemont Hotel. I might add that Dave met, courted and married an Exeter girl and now lives in the City.

I have thought long and hard about the dilemma the Chiefs face and have suggested by letter that not only should the the Big Chief mascot be retired, but the drums and the feather headdress be denied entry into the ground. As for the tomahawk chop chant, well, that's Hollywood "B" movie territory so Good luck to anyone trying to stop that. Taking a close look at the Chief's head on the club's badge it shows a proud, defiant and almost noble man and not at all derogatory. Also, it's depiction on caps, jackets and shirts are in gold, silver or black thread so redskins doesn't really enter into the Exeter Chiefs vocabulary.

Causes need people while some people badly need causes which tells me this will rumble on until these people finally get their way either by pitch invasions, digging up the turf or downright thuggery. Can you imagine sometime in the near future a Saracens RFC supporter stood on the terraces with his fez on his head, his club shirt proudly displaying the crescent moon and star badge while drinking a pint of alcoholic beverage? What are the chances that someone will soon to take offence to that and what are the chances that some support will be found on these very boards? It hasn't happened yet but.....

Rosencrantz

Reading your link I can understand how the author was upset and would like things to change. However, Washington DC isn't Exeter, E Devon. I've made no secret that I regularly attend Chief's games both home and away along with my rugby-mad son and at least six of his Swindon workmates who have become ardent Chiefs fans and who spend good money on beer, restaurants and long weekends at either the Southgate or Rougemont Hotel. I might add that Dave met, courted and married an Exeter girl and now lives in the City.

I have thought long and hard about the dilemma the Chiefs face and have suggested by letter that not only should the the Big Chief mascot be retired, but the drums and the feather headdress be denied entry into the ground. As for the tomahawk chop chant, well, that's Hollywood "B" movie territory so Good luck to anyone trying to stop that. Taking a close look at the Chief's head on the club's badge it shows a proud, defiant and almost noble man and not at all derogatory. Also, it's depiction on caps, jackets and shirts are in gold, silver or black thread so redskins doesn't really enter into the Exeter Chiefs vocabulary.

Causes need people while some people badly need causes which tells me this will rumble on until these people finally get their way either by pitch invasions, digging up the turf or downright thuggery. Can you imagine sometime in the near future a Saracens RFC supporter stood on the terraces with his fez on his head, his club shirt proudly displaying the crescent moon and star badge while drinking a pint of alcoholic beverage? What are the chances that someone will soon to take offence to that and what are the chances that some support will be found on these very boards? It hasn't happened yet but.....
No, I realise that the article was mainly dealing with Washington Redskins and that term does not come into the reckoning here. Also, I think the Chiefs name is not a problem of itself but it is with the branding. The relevant passage I saw in the article was

We don’t partake in the “tomahawk chop” or reduce heritage to stereotypical chants. Our events usually involve our cultural singing and traditions. We don’t act a fool in headdresses—those are sacred symbols with meaning.
So I totally agree with you in your letter you sent regarding the mascot and other related accompaniments, and also stopping a popular chant is always never going to happen overnight as the debate at Spurs shows. With the badge, I get what you say but with the headdress being a "sacred symbol with meaning" and not therefore to be taken lightly, I would suggest using it in corporate branding is to take it lightly.

It would seem to me that coming from an area with a great historical links to our Briton and Celtic past that to pair the Chiefs name with the appropriate Dumnomia branding is actually missing an unique opportunity to really tie in with our area and heritage and the original branding was a bit lazy in it's conception as well as the stereotyping and cultural appropriation connotations. I obviously realise that coming from a non-Chiefs supporting viewpoint that is a lot easier for me to say than any debate going on within the Chiefs supporters ranks, as I found out with my Uncle!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, I realise that the article was mainly dealing with Washington Redskins and that term does not come into the reckoning here. Also, I think the Chiefs name is not a problem of itself but it is with the branding. The relevant passage I saw in the article was

So I totally agree with you in your letter you sent regarding the mascot and other related accompaniments, and also stopping a popular chant is always never going to happen overnight as the debate at Spurs shows. With the badge, I get what you say but with the headdress being a "sacred symbol with meaning" and not therefore to be taken lightly, I would suggest using it in corporate branding is to take it lightly.

It would seem to me that coming from an area with a great historical links to our Briton and Celtic past that to pair the Chiefs name with the appropriate Dumnomia branding is actually missing an unique opportunity to really tie in with our area and heritage and the original branding was a bit lazy in it's conception as well as the stereotyping and cultural appropriation connotations. I obviously realise that coming from a non-Chiefs supporting viewpoint that is a lot easier for me to say than any debate going on within the Chiefs supporters ranks, as I found out with my Uncle!
i would agree with most of what you say, apart from your comments re. the club logo, where I would favour Stuffy's view. The adoption of American branding was a dubious move in the first place, although popular with supporters, and I think you're probably right in suggesting that identifying with the Dumnonii may be the way to go.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter RFC are to ditch their Native American branding in the summer. Instead they will identify with the Dumnonii tribe and keep the name Chiefs.

iscalad

Exeter RFC are to ditch their Native American branding in the summer. Instead they will identify with the Dumnonii tribe and keep the name Chiefs.
Looks like Atilla the Hun.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like Atilla the Hun.
Haha..it does !