• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs name change?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I totally agree that they ought to change their name.......by dropping the "Exeter" bit!

grecIAN Harris

If The Chiefs have got to change their name branding, what about Hartlepool? In the PC world nothing could be more abusive than 'The Monkey Hangers' surely? What the hell is the world coming to?

elginCity

I do fear for the future of the All Blacks.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think they should just drop the ‘Exeter’ name altogether.

They should call themselves the “Junction 29ers”

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
If The Chiefs have got to change their name branding, what about Hartlepool? In the PC world nothing could be more abusive than 'The Monkey Hangers' surely? What the hell is the world coming to?
But Hartlepool are not culturally appropriating, as tasteless as it is, they did actually hang a monkey. If the Chiefs were actually founded by native americans people wouldnt be commenting on their name.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do fear for the future of the All Blacks.
Especially if they're barred from pinching the best players from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

LOG

There's a board meeting today at the Chiefs to discuss rebranding. Apparently, the nickname dates back to the 1930's.

Antony Moxey

There's a board meeting today at the Chiefs to discuss rebranding. Apparently, the nickname dates back to the 1930's.

Is anyone aware of that? I can honestly say that before they went for their big rebrand I don't know anyone or have ever heard of anyone referring to them as 'Chiefs'.

Spoonz Red E

Is anyone aware of that? I can honestly say that before they went for their big rebrand I don't know anyone or have ever heard of anyone referring to them as 'Chiefs'.
With hindsight it should have been the Falcons who had reservations.

Grecian2K

With hindsight it should have been the Falcons who had reservations.
True. But it was they who got the chop. :(