• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs name change?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's not a new request to the Chiefs.
This is from 2016.

Native Americans have always let it be known that they consider such appropriation offensive and have actively protested it since the 1960s

To rub salt into the wound Native Americans were barred by the US government from celebrating there own culture fully until 1978.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

The Chiefs should change their branding, just as the Washington Redskins should. What was done to the native Americans was disgraceful.

Colesman Ballz

I mean what does Exeter have to do with native american people? They could have chosen any generic name because they have no real history but instead chose something with imperialist connotations. They should change it and apologise for making such a moronic decision.
There's a certain irony and a long standing debate over Washington, but not the same level of concern over the Kansas City CHIEFS. Regarding Exeter RFC, a couple of years back, a female American professor at Southampton University came out publically denouncing the branding, and Tony Rowe took not the slightest notice, and unless he thinks it would be financially advantageous, to change their branding I can't see him doing so now. He doesn't give an iota about public niceties, just the bottom line, as witnessed by the revoking of Flybe staff tickets earlier this year.

Perhaps we should concern ourselves more with the people of Greece, lest in addition to the repatriation of the Elgin Marbles, they also demand that we desist from using the nickname Grecians ! And in the animal kingdom, what on earth are we doing we Lion mascots ? LOL

:ROFLMAO: 🦁🦁

Rosencrantz

At least there seems to be some (very) obscure link in the St James areas past to the Grecian nickname, or a least a few theories. Apart from when we had Alex and Athena parading around we haven't as far as I know have any current branding either.

I think it is the Chief's branding that is the concern for some. Maybe they can alter it more along these lines.

Antony Moxey

Maybe they should change their name to be a truer reflection of how they actually are, maybe something like Exeter Plastics or Exeter Moneygrabbingbastards?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's a certain irony and a long standing debate over Washington, but not the same level of concern over the Kansas City CHIEFS. Regarding Exeter RFC, a couple of years back, a female American professor at Southampton University came out publically denouncing the branding, and Tony Rowe took not the slightest notice, and unless he thinks it would be financially advantageous, to change their branding I can't see him doing so now. He doesn't give an iota about public niceties, just the bottom line, as witnessed by the revoking of Flybe staff tickets earlier this year.

Perhaps we should concern ourselves more with the people of Greece, lest in addition to the repatriation of the Elgin Marbles, they also demand that we desist from using the nickname Grecians !
Modern day Kansas was the original homelands of many native American tribes. While by modern standards calling a team KC "Chiefs" would be seen as tasteless/insulting, in 1959 they probably wern't on the same page as we are today. Exeter "Chiefs" however were (a) not sited on the original hunting grounds of the Pawnee tribe and (b) were first named in 1999 a supposedly more culturally aware period of time.

INEXCUSABLE.

Maybe they should change their name to be a truer reflection of how they actually are, maybe something like Exeter Plastics or Exeter Moneygrabbingbastards?
I'd back this.

Rosencrantz

Exeter Flywho?

elginCity

Learn something new every day, had no idea. :oops: Couldn't imagine how the wearing of an Indian headdress, certainly not in a mocking way, could ever be offensive, but there you go. Chiefs branding should go, Exeter Dumnonii RFC.

For the Native American communities that wear these headdresses, they represent respect, power and responsibility. The headdress has to be earned, gifted to a leader in whom the community has placed their trust. When it becomes a cheap commodity anyone can buy and wear to a party, that meaning is erased and disrespected, and Native peoples are reminded that our cultures are still seen as something of the past, as unimportant in contemporary society, and unworthy of respect

i8cornwall

There was alone voice in at city trying to make our branding close to there’s not so long ago.

The Cleveland Indians had to drop there long held logo a while back due to this issue. Personally I hope that lot over by Ikea drop all the chiefs stuff just for it being terrible and not really representing the city of Exeter.

Colesman Ballz

Learn something new every day, had no idea. :oops: Couldn't imagine how the wearing of an Indian headdress, certainly not in a mocking way, could ever be offensive, but there you go. Chiefs branding should go, Exeter Dumnonii RFC.
Well I guess this will put all those Village People Tribute bands out of business !