• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs name change?

GJW

Wasn’t aware of this story. They could just call themselves Exeter Rugby Club I suppose. Anyone in Exeter know any more about it? Looks like it just the branding rather than a name change. Might as well change the name because it is intrinsically linked to the branding.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apparently the Washington Redskins NFL team are considering renaming too. However, how is ‘Chiefs’ in anyway racist?

GJW

Apparently the Washington Redskins NFL team are considering renaming too. However, how is ‘Chiefs’ in anyway racist?
The word Chiefs isn’t racist. I saw the Redskins story earlier and can understand that. I think this is more about their branding and some songs or chants. I wouldn’t know as I don’t go to rugby so haven’t a clue what they sing about.

Antony Moxey

So how is their branding racist? I don’t see anything derogatory in their logos or merchandise so, other than the obvious grounds of taste and decency see nothing wrong with calling themselves Chiefs.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The word Chiefs isn’t racist. I saw the Redskins story earlier and can understand that. I think this is more about their branding and some songs or chants. I wouldn’t know as I don’t go to rugby so haven’t a clue what they sing about.
They have a chant known as the "Tomahawk Chop". Also used by various American sports teams, I believe.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
If using"Chiefs" is not pc because of a reference to a race of people maybe that football club in Plymouth should consider dropping their name too.

GJW

So how is their branding racist? I don’t see anything derogatory in their logos or merchandise so, other than the obvious grounds of taste and decency see nothing wrong with calling themselves Chiefs.
I don’t know. I just read the article. That’s why I asked whether anyone knew about it. I would not have thought there was any racism involved but, as I said, I don’t know a lot about the Club apart from having a native chief as their Club badge

elginCity

I don't get this racist connotation; 'first nation imagery & branding' rubbish.

For a rugby club to associate itself with North American warriors should only be flattering to them, and not offensive at all !

Seal lovers will be demanding Sale drops its Sharks branding any time soon.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Has anyone ever started an anti name change petition and got more votes ?
I see Mr Bradshaw is there again !

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I mean what does Exeter have to do with native american people? They could have chosen any generic name because they have no real history but instead chose something with imperialist connotations. They should change it and apologise for making such a moronic decision.