• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

CHESS Carlsen v Nakamura Chess Tour Final Deciding Set Today 20th Aug

lamrobhero

Pete Costello was someone I knew from the Exeter Club in the mid 1970s who had civil service connections

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dave Beckwith was a master at Exeter School ( friend of Steve )but not too sure of his age so probably later on the scene.
Yes , Steve was a very good intuitive player.He usually beat me. Strangely enough he beat me one year I won the Devon Inter very easily indeed , even remember it was with the Vienna opening ( sad man that I am , but that’s how my memory works!) ,and I was sure he’d win overall ,but somehow he didn’t . Used to go to his house for meetings near the Gallows , then a few times up on Woodbury.Lovely bloke.

Last edited:

Banksy

Pete Costello was someone I knew from the Exeter Club in the mid 1970s who had civil service connections
Yes , knew Pete Costello , nice bloke.Played him a few times too!Did you know Dave Tout who played both for Civil Service and Exeter.I sat next to him at school , lost touch with him around 2005 but he was in bad health then.
Although I played for Civil Service for a while ( having been encouraged to by Dave our ex school champion ) , I actually was a guest player , at the time working for a bank.

Last edited:

lamrobhero

Yes , knew Pete Costello , nice bloke.Played him a few times too!
Yes very nice. He was my team captain for an Exeter team in one of the Devon leagues and used to drive me around. I also saw him at St James Park. Dave Tout I did not know

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Dave Beckwith was a master at Exeter School ( friend of Steve )but not too sure of his age so probably later on the scene.
Yes , Steve was a very good intuitive player.He usually beat me. Strangely enough he beat me one year I won the Devon Inter very easily indeed , even remember it was with the Vienna opening ( sad man that I am , but that’s how my memory works!) ,and I was sure he’d win overall ,but somehow he didn’t . Used to go to his house for meetings near the Gallows , then a few times up on Woodbury.Lovely bloke.
Did you respond Knight to f6 to the Vienna opening ?

Banksy

Did you respond Knight to f6 to the Vienna opening ?
As Clint said in Dirty Harry , ‘ In all the excitement I kinda forgot’
I remember vaguely that not being versed in it his 2 . Nc3 threw me. 2 Nf6 in reply is the Falkbeer Variation or something similar. Never played it since and that must have been well over thirty years ago so forgive me!

Alistair20000

As Clint said in Dirty Harry , ‘ In all the excitement I kinda forgot’
I remember vaguely that not being versed in it his 2 . Nc3 threw me. 2 Nf6 in reply is the Falkbeer Variation or something similar. Never played it since and that must have been well over thirty years ago so forgive me!
Has he played six moves or only five.....? :)

I vaguely recall the Falkbeer Countergambit

Grecian2K

I only ever played "pub chess".

Almost always the Lotsabeer Countergambit was employed.

Banksy

I only ever played "pub chess".

Almost always the Lotsabeer Countergambit was employed.

Grecian2K

Now that sounds like my kind of game!!! (y):ROFLMAO:
(Well, would have been many years ago when liver, kidneys and general constitution might have been up to the challenge)
Should be televised!!! Would do wonders for interest in the game (just imagine if the legendary Fischer v Spassky contest had been played under those rules!)