• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham vs Exeter - Carabao Cup 1st round. Match day thread

tonykellowfan

Its crazy though as the TV game is Hull v Bradford. How many viewers are they going to lose by streaming the other games (who are going to pay extra for that anyway)? It doesn't make sense from any angle.

They would get more money by allowing the streaming of the other games.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its crazy though as the TV game is Hull v Bradford. How many viewers are they going to lose by streaming the other games (who are going to pay extra for that anyway)? It doesn't make sense from any angle.

They would get more money by allowing the streaming of the other games.
Try putting aside your myopic viewpoint and looking at the bigger picture. The TV company get to pick the games they want all the way through the competition, and also no doubt will be showing both semifinals as per usual. The first round with absolutely no Premier League teams is not where they get "their bang for their bucks", this comes later.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
1989-90
1(1) SWANSEA CITY H 3-0
1(2) SWANSEA CITY A 1-1 Exeter City won 4-1 on aggregate
2(1) BLACKBURN ROVERS H 3-0
2(2) BLACKBURN ROVERS A 1-2 Exeter City won 4-2 on aggregate
3 BLACKPOOL H 3-0
4 SUNDERLAND H 2-2
4(R) SUNDERLAND A 2-5

And we moan now about too many games in a season! :D
Our first ever tie 19 Oct 60-61 home to Man Utd 1-1 Graham Rees scored and had another disallowed despite it being a good 3’ 0” over the line before being cleared by a United defender.

4 Sept 68/69 home to Wednesday won 3-1
25 Sept 68/69 away to Spurs lost 6-3 although closer than it appears if memory serves me correctly we were drawing 3-3 at one point but then along came Greavsie with a hat trick.

Oct 81/82 Rounds were two legged Liverpool first leg at home……aggregate score…..oh dear…..best forgotten.

IndoMike

1989-90
1(1) SWANSEA CITY H 3-0
1(2) SWANSEA CITY A 1-1 Exeter City won 4-1 on aggregate
2(1) BLACKBURN ROVERS H 3-0
2(2) BLACKBURN ROVERS A 1-2 Exeter City won 4-2 on aggregate
3 BLACKPOOL H 3-0
4 SUNDERLAND H 2-2
4(R) SUNDERLAND A 2-5

And we moan now about too many games in a season! :D
I remember being really impressed with Chris Vinnicombe against Blackburn. He had Stuart Ripley in his pocket.
I was surprised he never made the grade at the top.

IndoMike

Anyway, whatever. Come on City
Let's hope that the lads give Matt something to chew on. City to win 2-1.

sidney

Our first ever tie 19 Oct 60-61 home to Man Utd 1-1 Graham Rees scored and had another disallowed despite it being a good 3’ 0” over the line before being cleared by a United defender.

4 Sept 68/69 home to Wednesday won 3-1
25 Sept 68/69 away to Spurs lost 6-3 although closer than it appears if memory serves me correctly we were drawing 3-3 at one point but then along came Greavsie with a hat trick.

Oct 81/82 Rounds were two legged Liverpool first leg at home……aggregate score…..oh dear…..best forgotten.
I remember the Wednesday game quite well. I think they were fourth in the First Division ( now the Premier League of course ) at the time - Jim McCalliog et al. I seem to remember David Ford scored for them, and Graeme Bullock scored a cracker for us. But I am sure someone will tell me I am completely wrong!...

tonykellowfan

Try putting aside your myopic viewpoint and looking at the bigger picture. The TV company get to pick the games they want all the way through the competition, and also no doubt will be showing both semifinals as per usual. The first round with absolutely no Premier League teams is not where they get "their bang for their bucks", this comes later.
I am not talking about later rounds I am talking about this round.

I am not going to watch Bradford v Hull. I would happily pay to stream the Exeter game.

Colesman Ballz

I am not talking about later rounds I am talking about this round.

I am not going to watch Bradford v Hull. I would happily pay to stream the Exeter game.
Duh ! The TV deal was for the whole shebang, there was no pick 'n' mix option. No one is forcing you to watch the Bratfud game.

robchave

Took my wife to her first ever City game for that home leg against Liverpool. We were getting stuffed and she turned to me and said "we're doing really well, arn't we!". I said "no dear, the ones in red are Liverpool!"

With my advanced years my memory of the Sheffield Wednesday game may not be as clear as it was. However, I thought they beat Manchester United the previous Saturday and were actually, briefly, top of Division 1. Peter Springett was in goal and I thought it was Peter Eustace (later of West Ham fame) who scored for them with a 25 yarder. I was at the Big Bank end right on the rails and I think Bullock's shot took a deflection and maybe Johnny Corr got one of the other goals. Again, maybe my memory is shot!!!