• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town vs Exeter City matchday thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only thing that GC is slightly irratating me with and I know he’s already explained his reasons why in the week, why play Grounds and Chauke? They won’t be here next season…you’d think he would be now building towards next season. I know they’re on loan but surely now would have been an ideal time…for Ed James, Sonny and Harry Lee to come in. Opportunity missed IMO. We don’t know if we will struggle or not next season if we down the bottom it will be harder to bed those lads in then.
Poor old Gary Caldwell, it's a delicate skill trying to play a team that can win with everybody in their correct positions and bringing on youth as well. Stanno won't be here next season, should we have played Beardmore? What about White, Key, Collins and McDonald, they will probably go as well? Too early in the season to make the radical changes you are suggesting and imagine the furore on here if he did and we got hammered.

tom_ecfc

Poor old Gary Caldwell, it's a delicate skill trying to play a team that can win with everybody in their correct positions and bringing on youth as well. Stanno won't be here next season, should we have played Beardmore? What about White, Key, Collins and McDonald, they will probably go as well? Too early in the season to make the radical changes you are suggesting and imagine the furore on here if he did and we got hammered.
It’s also a balance between showing the parent club the loans have come from that we don’t just dump their players towards the end of the season for our youth, just because we don’t have much to play for. It wouldn’t be a good look and parent clubs would potentially not send players our way if we treated them like this. But of course, we need to integrate our youth into the team at some point. I believe in the final 5 games we’ll see a few more youth players and the players that will be shown the door in the summer not included, keep an eye out on squad lists towards the end of the season.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The issue was nothing about identity or style but the fact we had 5 first choice players unavailable for selection and didn't have the strength in depth to cope without them. And White was a bit hit and miss today but his pass for Mitchell that led to the penalty was sublime.
Yes it was a cracking pass, but overall White isn't ready for league one football. As said he needs a season being first choice either at lge 2 or national League.

The style / identity though overall hasn't been effective often enough and even fully with a fully fit side I don't think Caldwell's style of play he wants from us suits our playing squad, especially in an attacking sense. I genuinely believe we've wasted a chunk of this season messing around with something which isn't working, messing around with line ups, playing players out if position and ruined our effectiveness as said by not playing to our strengths. We also won't have the majority of our best players here next season so therefore it just feels like we've wasted this season with a very good side. I genuinely think our side should be 8-10 points better off without the style change and ineffectiveness that has bought.

But look. Onto accy next week. Hopefully get another home win. Caldwell imho still has to show the fan base he can get the best out of this side. I genuinely haven't seen enough of that in Caldwell's tenure

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Game of moments and defensive errors.

Nombe missed penalty which galvanized Cheltenham and knocked the stuffing out of us.

Aimson/Grounds Sunday league defending for the first

We equalise and the flare absolutely killed our momentum. FWIW I'm all for flares but at the right time, I remember MT having a go at our supporters about it last season. Yesterday it allowed Cheltenham to settle down again.

Cheltenham quickly retake the lead with a free header

We give the ball away in a bad area (again) and suddenly May is one on one somehow.

We are/were clearly a far better side than Cheltenham and we probably win that game 7 times out of 10 but sloppy errors absolutely killed us. If we had taken the lead yesterday I'm convinced we would have gone on to win.

STURTZ

Yes it was a cracking pass, but overall White isn't ready for league one football. As said he needs a season being first choice either at lge 2 or national League.

The style / identity though overall hasn't been effective often enough and even fully with a fully fit side I don't think Caldwell's style of play he wants from us suits our playing squad, especially in an attacking sense. I genuinely believe we've wasted a chunk of this season messing around with something which isn't working, messing around with line ups, playing players out if position and ruined our effectiveness as said by not playing to our strengths. We also won't have the majority of our best players here next season so therefore it just feels like we've wasted this season with a very good side. I genuinely think our side should be 8-10 points better off without the style change and ineffectiveness that has bought.

But look. Onto accy next week. Hopefully get another home win. Caldwell imho still has to show the fan base he can get the best out of this side. I genuinely haven't seen enough of that in Caldwell's tenure
Think with Jevani Brown available we could have another 5 or 6 points but all in all our team have performed well for a first season back in league 1.

Last edited:

Memphis09

Agree
Play them the last couple of games yes

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights :(

grecIAN Harris

The only thing that GC is slightly irratating me with and I know he’s already explained his reasons why in the week, why play Grounds and Chauke? They won’t be here next season…you’d think he would be now building towards next season. I know they’re on loan but surely now would have been an ideal time…for Ed James, Sonny and Harry Lee to come in. Opportunity missed IMO. We don’t know if we will struggle or not next season if we down the bottom it will be harder to bed those lads in then.
Ed James isn't ready yet as was proven in the couple of appearances earlier in the season. He has the attributes but was way out of his depth. And which one of the two left were you planning to replace Chauke, who was our best performer in midfield yesterday, with? The goalkeeper or the striker? You do talk some utter drivel at times.
The three lads are away earning their stripes so when they do come back next season they will be ready to go as and when called upon. Why waste a couple of months of vital footballing education when we have sufficient squad players here already. What would you sooner, a player like Diabate who was ready when called upon not because he was good enough but because he was able to handle himself so his ability could come to the fore or somebody like White is at the moment who quite clearly has the attributes but isn't able to look after himself and is therefore looking very weak and subsequently poor because he can't show his ability?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

elginCity

Then we got the interminable delay for the flare and we never really got going again. Conceding a bad goal from a free header which was right in the corner. The third then killed us.
Credit to Caleb Taylor though who peeled away superbly from Kev McD, who'd only just come on, and Sweenz at the near post to find the space. Blackman didn't have to move far but took an age to get down to a tame header, probably due to some excess timber.

We'd been in the ascendancy for over 20 mins, scored the equaliser and then with the flare delay and the 2 subs, we suddenly lost our shape and concentration. Don't understand the thinking of the flare's thrower or the manager's timing of his subs, considering how much on top we were at that time.