• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City - Carabao Cup

Cowshed Grecian

Fancy starts for Coley, Caprice, Lee, Pond, Grounds and MJ for this one.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We simply don't have a "second string" at the moment (numbers wise). And with KMT wanting to progress in the competition I can't foresee wholesale changes. Yes there may be some judicious resting of a key player or two, taking a seat on the bench, but above all he will want to keep our momentum going.

IndoMike

We simply don't have a "second string" at the moment (numbers wise). And with KMT wanting to progress in the competition I can't foresee wholesale changes. Yes there may be some judicious resting of a key player or two, taking a seat on the bench, but above all he will want to keep our momentum going.
I'm not so sure MT would be particularly concerned about getting quickly knocked out of this competition, although he would never say that. The prize money is pathetic,. Ok, we get 45% of gate receipts, but the chances of drawing a big club are not high. We'd probably get Hartlepool away, anyway
I reckon MT will see it as a free hit. Rest our key players, and then if we win - OK. If we lose - that's life.

Colesman Ballz

I'm not so sure MT would be particularly concerned about getting quickly knocked out of this competition, although he would never say that. The prize money is pathetic,. Ok, we get 45% of gate receipts, but the chances of drawing a big club are not high. We'd probably get Hartlepool away, anyway
I reckon MT will see it as a free hit. Rest our key players, and then if we win - OK. If we lose - that's life.
So evidently you do not believe Matt Taylor's own words ? :p

denzel

Last season after beating us, Wycombe drew Stevenage.
But then played Man City at the Etihad.
Don't tell me that's not worth thinking about

IndoMike

Last season after beating us, Wycombe drew Stevenage.
But then played Man City at the Etihad.
Don't tell me that's not worth thinking about
To be honest, I am no longer thrilled at the prospect of playing a PL team in the EFL Cup . I'm totally bored with the PL. I never watch it.
How many times have we played a PL team in any cup competition in the last ten years. It's no good you quoting one case - bloody Wycombe, of all people
The prize money is risible, the crowds are small, and we have a small squad who could do without a long weekday trip to a Godforsaken outpost for a few thousand quid income.

Last edited:

IndoMike

So evidently you do not believe Matt Taylor's own words ? :p
Of course I'm not saying he's a liar : totally respect the bloke and thank God we got rid of Tizzer and chose Matt as his successor. No, I'm simply saying that, like me, he is diplomatic.

To be honest, I am no longer thrilled at the prospect of playing a PL team in the EFL Cup . I'm totally bored with the PL. I never watch it.
I can sympathise with your thoughts on the PL, but its nice to go to a new ground though, watching City through thick and thin you don't get many opportunities to see how the other half lives. Only new one for me this year is Barnsley, I kick myself (regularly) for not going there in the 70s for THAT game

Colesman Ballz

How many times have we played a PL team in any cup competition in the last ten years. It's no good you quoting one case.
The prize money is risible, the crowds are small, and we have a small squad who could do without a long weekday trip to a Godforsaken outpost for a few thousand quid income.
We of course pocketed a seven figure sum from drawing Manure in the 3rd Round of the FACup in 2005. It even saved the Club, what's not to like about that ? :unsure:

IndoMike

I can sympathise with your thoughts on the PL, but its nice to go to a new ground though, watching City through thick and thin you don't get many opportunities to see how the other half lives. Only new one for me this year is Barnsley, I kick myself (regularly) for not going there in the 70s for THAT game
Sorry mate. I was editing my post when you replied to my unfinished one. It happens Yep, I get what you say.
You know how much the semi- finalists get in the EFL Cup? 25k
Most top teams put out their reserve teams until they get to the semis : there's not even much pride in beating them.
But my main concern is the small squad and probable long trip.