• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Festival 2022

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hiya. Only just seen this, so have quickly amended my selections as follows:

1.45: COBBLERS DREAM / HIGHWAY ONE O TWO [E-W]
2.20: EL FABIOLO
2.55: L'HOMME PRESSE
3.30: PAINT THE DREAM
4.05: SENIOR CITIZEN / BATCIO [E-W]
4.40: BAINBRIDGE
5.15: LIVELY CITIZEN / THIBAULT [E-W]
Assuming you are going each way on both your selections I am happy to do the same dropping my second e.w. selection.

Alistair20000

I think your edited post crossed with my reply to you Egg

Alistair20000

Have you done the math for yesterday Egg ?

I keep getting a different answer each time I do the calculations !

Alistair20000

Aintree Saturday

Love Grand National day me, especially when all the horses and jockeys return safely. Looks a tough card but here goes

1:45 Winter Fog to win. There is a good race of this sort to be won with this horse. David Pipe's horses have just hit a purple patch and although he would prefer much softer ground I will go Remastered returning after wind surgery each way with up and coming Serious Charges for the other each way. Tough handicap to unpick.

2:25 Good Risk At All Improving and I want to take on likely favourite Three Strip Life with Gordon Elliott's horses not firing on all cylinders.

3:00 Gentleman De Me Willie Mullins again. I much regret opposing the admirable Edwardstone but he has had a long season and my selection may be fresher.

3:35 Thyme Hill No logical reason for him to turn round the Cheltenham result with Flooring Porter but Ahoy Senor did that for no good reason that I could fathom yesterday.

4:15 Killer Kane to win. Another tough handicap. This one is lightly weighted and improving. Tea Clipper and Cap Du Nord for the each ways.

5:15 The Big One (y) Ages since a mare last won this (1951) but I really like the look of Snow Leopardess for the win. Proven over these unique fences and well handicapped. Apparently has a vile temper and a vile tempered female is not one to get on the wrong side of. Now two each ways at sporting odds: Discorama is proven over these fences and has been laid out for this. De Rasher Counter also specially trained for this after returning from injury and I always look at a horse in this carrying 10 stone 12 pounds. The only one off that weight this year.

6:20 Rath Gaul Boy Willie Mullins yet again. I was going to oppose with Ernest Gray but have at the last minute decided not to. This race is chock full of promising young future hurdlers and chasers.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you done the math for yesterday Egg ?

I keep getting a different answer each time I do the calculations !
Haven't sat down with a piece of paper and an abacus but happy to concede you finished on top.

Will put up my selections for today's dead rubber in a bit.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Okay, here we go:

1.45: SERIOUS CHARGES steps up in class, and the faster ground is a bit of an unknown, but he comes here on a roll. MILL GREEN [E-W] might have been a shade unlucky in the Pertemps at Cheltenham, while REMASTERED [E-W] has been hitting the bar over the bigger obstacles but returns to hurdles for a stable in fine form.

2.25: GOOD RISK AT ALL was one of the easiest winners of the season in a big handicap hurdle last time out so it could be significant that his shrewd connections are pitching him into Grade 1 company and potentially forfeiting a decent mark.

3.00: Edwardstone is by far the most likely winner but it's impossible to know what effect Cheltenham may have had on him, and odds-on shots aren't much use for the purposes of this contest, so I'll take a chance on THIRD TIME LUCKI.

3.35: While slightly perturbed that FLOORING PORTER failed to back up his 2021 Stayers Hurdle win on his next appearance that was at Punchestown and I'm hoping he'll be better on this left-handed track.

4.15: SHAN BLUE was in the process of blowing the field apart when he fell at the last in the Charlie Hall and, off the same mark here, could be a blot on the handicap. Kim Bailey hasn't had a great season but ESPOIR DE ROMAY [E-W], who might have beaten Chantry House at last year's Grand National meeting had he not fallen at the last, should improve on his Kelso run, while it's interesting that Colin Tizzard's stable jockey Brendan Powell has [apparently] opted to ride KILLER KANE [E-W] over Oscar Elite.

5.15: DELTA WORK is the obvious one. He brings some great back form into the race and was back to something like his best when beating Tiger Roll in the cross-country at Cheltenham. The run of Eclair Surf in the Eider has been boosted by the winner sluicing up in the Scottish National and, while the ground is probably a little quicker than ideal, I backed Snow Leopardess after her win at Exeter last time out so can't dessert her now.

6.20: As Al points out, Willie Mullins is always a good starting point in bumpers but I'll take a chance with ERNEST GRAY who impressed at Warwick.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hi Al

Again, I haven't sat down and done the maths but reckon I may just have shaded Day Three, courtesy of Mill Green being placed at a decent price in the opener.

In any case, it doesn't much matter because you already had an unassailable lead, so congrats!

What say we reconvene for Royal Ascot?!

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Hi Al

Again, I haven't sat down and done the maths but reckon I may just have shaded Day Three, courtesy of Mill Green being placed at a decent price in the opener.

In any case, it doesn't much matter because you already had an unassailable lead, so congrats!

What say we reconvene for Royal Ascot?!
I did a quick calculation that told me you lost 0.25 points less than me and I was counting a place return for me for with Tea Clipper who finished 4th but with withdrawals Bookies would have only paid on first three. So, happy to call it 2/1.

Agreed we reconvene for Royal Ascot where my punting record is dire so I will probably get rinsed.

Reactions: Egg